There are various fees incurred with tertiary study and there are various government assistance schemes to make studying more affordable. So, to make your time at university the best it can be, make sure you're aware of all the costs involved and any assistance you might be eligible for before you begin.

The type of place you are offered will determine, in part, the kind of assistance that you are eligible for.

Commonwealth supported places are available for all undergraduate courses and some postgraduate coursework courses. Fee-paying places are available in a number of postgraduate coursework courses, with some postgraduate coursework courses having a combination of commonwealth supported and fee-paying places. Check postgraduate courses for course specific information.

More details are available below:

Funding your study as a Commonwealth supported student

Study costs

The cost of studying at university is shared between the Commonwealth Government and you.

It is important to know that eligible students do not have to pay upfront for their university fees and that you don't start repaying your contribution until you are earning over a specified amount per year ($51,309 in 2013-2014). For most students, this means that you will not start repaying until you leave university.

The cost of university study to you = Student Contribution + equipment and resources required.

Most eligible students choose to borrow the money from the Commonwealth Government, through the HECS-HELP Scheme and pay the loan back once they are working and earning over the declared income threshold for that year.

Alternatively, you can pay the student contribution upfront, in which case you are eligible for a 10% discount.

Who is eligible for a HECS-HELP loan?

Students who are Australian citizens or holders of permanent humanitarian visas are eligible for a HECS-HELP loan, and do not have to pay their fees upfront. Permanent residents and New Zealand citizens must pay their fees upfront and are not eligible for a discount.

How do I apply for a HECS-HELP loan?

The process is easy. When you enrol in topics you decide whether you want to defer your Student Contribution or pay upfront. If you decide to receive a HECS-HELP loan (defer your contribution) the Commonwealth Government pays the loan amount directly to Flinders on your behalf. You can change your mind from one semester to another too, if you want to pay upfront for some study and defer Student Contributions in other semesters, you just need to make any upfront payments by the published due dates.

How are Student Contribution Amounts calculated?

The table below shows the annual Student Contribution for a full time study load (36 units) by subject area. Each subject is typically worth 3, 4.5, 6 or 9 units. A 3-year degree at Flinders is 108 units.


Subject area

2014 maximum student

contribution amount

(36 units)

Band 1

Education, Nursing, Humanities, Behavioural Science, Social Studies, Foreign Languages, Visual and Performing Arts


Band 2

Computing, Built Environment, Health, Engineering, Surveying, Agriculture, Science, Statistics


Band 3

Accounting, Administration, Commerce, Economics, Law, Medicine, Tourism



Most students will study subjects from two or more of the bands above. For example, if you are undertaking a double degree in Education and Science, your education subjects are charged at Band 1 in 2014, whilst science topics are charged at the Band 2 rate. This means that you would incur a Student Contribution amount of $755 for a first-year education subject (4.5 units) and $1,076 for a first year biology subject (4.5 units).

More information

Full details of the HECS-HELP scheme, your eligibility and repayment options are available at the study assist website .

Funding your study as a fee-paying student

In addition to Commonwealth supported places available for postgraduate study, all postgraduate coursework courses are also offered on a full-fee paying basis. See the postgraduate course listing for further information.

A small number of fee-paying places are also available in the graduate-entry Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery programs.

The university recognises that for some students there may be a tax or employment benefit in studying as a fee-paying student.

FEE-HELP loans

Students who are Australian citizens or holders of permanent humanitarian visas are eligible for a FEE-HELP loan, and do not have to pay their tuition fees upfront. Permanent residents and New Zealand citizens must pay their tuition fees upfront.

A FEE-HELP loan is similar to a HECS-HELP loan. If you are eligible, you may indicate at enrolment that you want to receive a FEE-HELP loan for tuition fees.

You will not start repaying your loan until you are earning over the declared income threshold for that year. However, over your lifetime you can borrow only up to the FEE-HELP limit. In 2014, the FEE-HELP limit is $96,000 and $120,004 for students studying dentistry, medicine or Veterinary Science. This amount is indexed each year.

Other costs

Student Services and Amenities Fee

All domestic students are required to pay a student services and amenities fee to fund some of the University's non-academic services.  In 2014, this fee is capped at $281, and depends on amount of units that a student is enrolled in.

Australian citizens and students holding a permanent humanitarian visa are eligible to apply for a SA-HELP loan, which will allow the fee to be deferred in the same way as HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP. All other students will need to pay the fee directly to Flinders University.

For more information about the student services and amenities fee, visit the student services and amenities fee page .

Textbooks, equipment and fieldwork

Students are expected to be able to access copies of set textbooks and readings (which are a combination of articles and chapters for a specific topic). Multiple copies of set texts and readers are provided by the library but you may also purchase textbooks and readers. The cost of a textbook can vary from $10 to $250.

Second-hand textbooks can be purchased and Unibooks offers textbook discounts.

Stationery and folders will be required and in some topics, special equipment (such as lab coats) must be purchased.

Some topics will require fieldwork and excursions or out-of-city placements. This can include expenses such as transport, accommodation and food. There is some university assistance for such activities but allowances should be made for these costs. Students should find out about these costs when researching the courses.

Getting to uni

Many students choose to drive to uni. Parking permits may be purchased for one semester or a full year. Permits are $145 for a full year in 2014.

For those who are able to participate, carpooling offers a cost-effective and sociable alternative to solo travel. For further information see:

More information

For any queries regarding study-related costs, or HECS-HELP queries, please phone the Admissions/Prospective Students Office on (08) 8201 3074 or 1300 657 671 (local call cost) or email