What you need to know about credit

Eligibility for credit does not guarantee admission to a course at Flinders. If you would like more information about the admission requirements for a particular course refer to Courses and Programs.

When we receive your credit transfer application we will compare the level and content of topics you have already completed with the syllabus and learning outcomes of topics in the Flinders course you are about to undertake.

If your previous area of study is not related to your university study, some degrees allow for general credit to be awarded based on your level of the TAFE/VET qualification only, irrelevant of the content matter.

Refer to the Policy on Credit Transfer for further information.

Types of credit

There are 3 types of credit:

  • Specified credit: This is awarded when the study already undertaken is substantially the same standard and has substantially the same syllabus as an equivalent topic offered at Flinders. 
  • Unspecified credit: This is awarded on the basis of work which is deemed to be equivalent in amount and academic value to a body of work at Flinders for which there is no direct topic equivalent.
  • Block credit: This is awarded for work of a similar standard in a program of studies (e.g. major/minor) which is equivalent to one offered at Flinders.

A student who has undertaken a topic at another institution which is not directly equivalent to a Flinders topic, but has a significant similarity, may, in some cases, be exempted from components of a topic. Please ask your Faculty contact for further details.


You may be eligible for credit if you have undertaken study at a registered training organisation or tertiary institution, either in Australia or overseas, including TAFE/VET.

Study undertaken at overseas institutions will be recognised as long as the study is considered to be equivalent to the level of education in Australian registered training organisations or tertiary institutions.

Students transferring from one Flinders University degree to another

Students who have completed topics within a degree at Flinders and wish to transfer to another degree at Flinders may wish to apply for credit transfer. This is not an automatic process so you will need to lodge an application, however it is not necessary for you to provide an academic transcript or syllabus.

Students from other Australian universities

Credit may be granted for studies successfully completed at any accredited Australian higher education institution.

Students from TAFE/VET

In most cases you need to have completed a qualification at Certificate IV level or higher in order to be considered for credit transfer. Credit may be given to a maximum of 54 units (towards a 3-year degree) for holders of a completed TAFE diploma, associate diploma, advanced diploma, degree or equivalent.

If your qualification is related to the degree you wish to undertake at Flinders, you will receive credit based on a comparison of the subjects already completed to the topics that are required in your chosen degree.

If you are studying/have studied for a TAFE/VET qualification Search for Credit on our Credit Transfer Database to see if your qualification is listed. Otherwise, we will assess your qualification individually.

If your qualification is not related to the degree you wish to undertake at Flinders you may be entitled to a minimum amount of credit.

TAFE/VET qualification Minimum credit*
Certificate IV 4.5 units
Diploma 9 units
Advanced Diploma 13.5 units
Associate Degree 13.5 units

* Minimum credit: There may be instances where minimum credit may not be granted because the undergraduate program needs to meet the requirements of professional or registration bodies.

Search for your qualification to establish the minimum credit that may be granted for the qualification you wish to undertake at Flinders University.

TAFElink provides a guaranteed entry pathway for applicants who have completed a TAFE/VET certificate 4 or higher level qualification (provided the applicant meets the course prerequisite requirements). Refer to guaranteed entry pathway for TAFE/VET students for further information.

Note: Students studying full-time are expected to undertake 18 units in each semester (36 units per year) to complete their degree within the specified period (eg 108 units for a three year degree).

Students from overseas institutions

Credit for studies at overseas tertiary institutions will be awarded on the same basis as that for studies within Australian institutions, subject to those studies being assessed by the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR), or an equivalent body, as comparable to tertiary level studies in Australia.