As a research-intensive university engaged in a range of international activities on campus and abroad, Flinders University acknowledges the benefits of international exchange for both candidates and staff. As a consequence, cotutelle agreements have been established to promote and strengthen research collaborations between Australia and other countries.
The aim of a cotutelle program is to support PhD candidates and research teams through jointly supervised degrees. Cotutelle refers to a doctoral degree program that is undertaken jointly at Flinders University and an international higher education institution. A PhD candidate (domestic or international) divides his/her candidature between Flinders and the partner institution. A successful candidate will be awarded two parchments, one from each institution. Flinders can either be the home or the host institution.
This type of international research degree provides benefits to candidates as well as to the university. It enriches candidates' training experiences, exposes them to different educational environments and encourages them to forge personal and professional links that will increase their career prospects internationally. Cotutelle agreements also support Flinders staff in developing and strengthening research networks.
Candidates seeking to undertake a Cotutelle Doctoral Degree need to have an appropriately resourced project and appropriate supervision at both partner institutions. Potential candidates must also satisfy each university's normal admission requirements, including language proficiency.
If you believe that a Cotutelle Doctoral Degree will help you to achieve your goals, please read Flinders University's Policy on Cotutelle Doctoral Degrees. Discuss the possibility with your supervisors, preferably when you first apply for a doctoral degree. If you or your supervisors have further questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Graduate Research (8201 2130). Flinders University has a standard template for the cotutelle agreement.
France is the most common partner country for cotutelle agreements. Enquiries concerning other countries and their participation in cotutelle doctorates should be directed to the Office of Graduate Research.
How to apply
Flinders university currently has agreements with the following universities. Information about Cotutelle Doctoral Degrees can be found at each site:
- Universidade Federal Do Rio Grande (Brazil)
- Universidade Federal Fluminense (UFF) (Brazil)
- University of Western Ontario (Canada)
- McMaster University (Canada)
- Central South University (China)
- Chinese Academy of Sciences (China)
- Paris Descartes (France)
- Le Conservatoire National Des Arts et Metiers (France)
- Université de Picardie Jules Verne (France)
- University of Cologne (Germany)
- Goethe Universitat (Germany)
- Technische Universitat Dresden (Germany)
- University of Potsdam (Germany)
- Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, TUMSAT (Japan)
- Universiti Kebangsaan (Malaysia)
- Twente University (The Netherlands)
- Edinburgh University (Scotland)
- University of Salamanaca (Spain)
- University of the Basque Country (Spain)
- University of Cadiz (Spain)