RHD Supervisor Professional Development Program
The RHD Supervisor PD Program, offered by The Dean of Graduate Research and The Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching (CILT), is compulsory for staff members new to Flinders University. New staff have 12 months to complete the supervisor training. It comprises two core workshops and the choice of two electives. One elective can be replaced by three one-hour workshops offered by the Dean of Graduate Research, Professor Tara Brabazon.
The program comprises two core workshops and the choice of two electives:
- Core: Workshop 1
- Core: Workshop 2
- Elective: Supervising international students *
- Elective: Supervising Indigenous postgraduates
- Elective: Successful models of supervision
- Elective: Helping doctoral students to plan their career
- Elective: Supporting your students to get published
- Elective: Providing Usable Feedback
*This elective can be taken online.
Reasons for exemptions to CILT Supervisor Training can be found in the Academic Supervisor Induction Guidelines (DOC 66KB) Guidelines for academic staff and supervisors.
Workshops offered by the Dean of Graduate Research
A range of PD workshops for RHD Supervisors are offered by the Dean of Graduate Research. Experienced supervisors need to update their supervisor training every 5 years by participating in three of these workshops.
The workshops address current RHD issues, impacts of legislation and policy, best practice approaches to supervision, and RHD student administration.
Newly registered supervisors can count three workshops as the equivalent of one elective.
The workshops being offered in 2017 are:
- Communication strategies between students and supervisors
- Selection of examiners
- Completion strategies
- Confirmation of candidature
- Why do students change supervisors?
Application for Register of RHD Supervisors
This Application for Register of HDR Supervisors (DOC 861KB) is used to register and upgrade supervisor level on the Register.
Refer to FAQs for RHD Supervisors.