Most students will need:
• Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
• Evidence of at least 12 months Overseas Student Health Cover or for the new visa duration (if less than 12 months)
• the correct application checklist from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website
• a completed application form (either online or in hard copy)
We recommend that you apply for a CoE between four and six weeks before your current visa expires.
You must lodge a valid application with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) no earlier than six weeks, and at least two weeks, before your current visa expires. You are responsible for maintaining your lawful status in Australia.
If you require a COE extension, please follow the steps as below:
- Click on “Request Support”
- Click on “Current Flinders University students”
- Enter your FAN and password
- Click on “Request support” heading TAB
- Click on “Submit a request”
- Complete the online form – Student ID,
- In the AREA choose “Student visa/COE”
- In “Details” explain why you need the COE extension and please include from which country (Australia or your home country) you will apply for your student visa renewal
- Attach current “approved study plan” from your course coordinator / responsible staff at your School / Faculty for course advising
- Click on “Finish” and Submit
Australia Awards students (576)
Before you start the process of applying for a further student visa, you must have permission from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to extend your visa. This is normally only provided on the grounds of academic failure. You do not need a CoE.
Contact the Australia Awards Student Contact Officers
Research Higher Degree students (574)
Extending a Research Higher Degree
As well as extending your visa, you need to talk to your supervisor(s) about extending your candidature.
Contact your faculty office or check your faculty website to download the extension request form.
Complete the following steps:
- Ensure you have your CoE
- Go to the DIBP website and go to Visa Finder
- Select the appropriate visa
- Follow the DIBP instructions to complete your application.
DIBP encourages student e-visa lodgements because these applications receive priority processing.
Note: If your visa is due to expire immediately, speak to DIBP counter staff.