Where can I go on exchange?

Flinders University has more than 70 exchange partners available from a wide range of countries. You will need to be flexible in your approach when selecting an institution as it will need to offer topics which can align to your Flinders degree in the semester you want to go.  The best way to select an institution is to start with the country you are most interested in then use the links on the Flinders University website to find out which Flinders Partners in that country offer your area of study and if there are restrictions on places available. 

What does the Flinders Learn Without Borders Team do for me?

Flinders Learn Without Borders Team coordinates your exchange process; including assisting you in making a decision on where to study, lending advice regarding the application procedure, providing information about scholarships, processing your application, lodging your application with the exchange partner university, and providing pre-departure services and support.

Do many of the exchange partner universities teach in English?

Yes, many of our exchange partners offer a range of subjects taught in English. Non-English speaking partners in Europe, Asia and South/Central America offer limited courses/subjects taught in English.  Most often the subjects/courses are basic and not relevant to an applicant’s degree. It is advised that students interested to study overseas at one of the non-English speaking partners have at least 4 semesters study of the language. This is one of their requirements in order to get accepted into their exchange program. 

Will my Flinders degree take me longer to finish if I go on exchange?

No, provided you complete and pass all units at your overseas university and have had your overseas topics approved for credit by your course coordinator and faculty office prior to your departure from Australia. Applicants must consult their course coordinator and College Office before lodging a Flinders outgoing exchange application.

How do I get credit for the units that I want to do overseas on exchange?

You must consult your course coordinator as part of the application process.  Your College Office will arrange for your overseas units to be approved for credit towards your Flinders degree and approve your study plan.  Full instructions can be found on the Flinders exchange application form. Upon completion of a semester (or two) at an exchange partner, the host university will issue an official transcript. The grades you achieve will not be converted into Flinders grades but will be given credit for and appear on your transcript as a non-graded pass. Consequently your overseas studies will not impact your GPA.

Do I have to remain enrolled at Flinders while I am overseas?

Yes. Once accepted by the host institution, the Learn Without Borders Team will arrange your enrolment in the appropriate exchange code with Enrolment Services. Enrolment in these units will ensure that you receive the credit which your College Office has approved and ensure you remain eligible for Centrelink benefits.  You have to comply with the normal Flinders University enrolment and census dates (not your overseas university dates) for your Flinders enrolment as if you were in Australia. You must complete your enrolment before you leave Australia.

How will I be graded on the units that I do overseas on exchange?

Your overseas exchange partner university will give you an official transcript showing all the topics completed and the grades you received. Exchange transcripts are normally sent to the Learn Without Borders Team by the host universities. Upon receipt of the transcript, a copy will be sent to your College Office with a request to have the credit transfer finalised. The credit you recieve will be listed as a comment. Exchange units will appear on your Flinders transcript as a non-graded pass.  To demonstrate the grades you achieved for these units (e.g. for entry to honours) you will need to produce your official overseas university transcript.

How long am I able to go on exchange for?

You are able to go on exchange for a maximum of two semesters throughout your degree at Flinders. You can study in two different universities, countries or continents in each semester or even go in different years. Dates of semesters are crucial when planning seperate exchanges. There are also a number of short term programs ranging in duration between 3-8 weeks which students can apply to go on.

Can I extend my exchange if I decide I want to stay longer while overseas?

It may be possible to extend your exchange provided you have not been on exchange for greater than two semesters and you receive approval from your host university, Flinders Learn Without Borders Team and College.

Can I study part-time while on exchange?

No. A student visa will only be offered to full-time students and host universities require full time study. For Flinders students a full-time load can be made up of between 13.5 to 18 units per semester. Most often, Flinders students are required by their course coordinator and College Office to study the equivalent of 18 Flinders units on exchange so as not to delay the completion of their degree at Flinders.

I recently failed a subject.  Am I still able to go on exchange?

Yes, provided your College Office agrees and you meet the minimum GPA requirements specified in the student exchange eligibility requirements.

When can I apply to go on exchange?

See our eligibility page.


When should I begin the process?

You should begin planning your exchange as early as possible to ensure your exchange fits with your degree requirements. Often students decide to go on exchange later in their degree and find it is too late to receive credit for overseas study. It takes most students at least 3 months to do the necessary research to identify an exchange partner university, work out their study plan and get it approved by their College and request academic references. Ensure you leave plenty of time before the Flinders application deadline dates for study.

When do I need to submit my application by?

Semester One    31 July of previous year  
Semester Two    30 November of previous year

Please note short term programs have different deadlines which are specified for each program.

Who do I get to fill out my academic references and what do they have to say?

The academic references are to be completed by a Flinders University academic staff member who has taught or supervised you during your degree. You could approach a tutor, lecturer or senior lecturer. The academic reference should be a brief statement commenting on the student's academic progress and personal manner and give consideration to how the student would cope studying and living in a changed study environment.

Can I work part-time while I am on exchange?

Your ability to work depends on the country you will study in. Some countries place no work restrictions on visiting students while others prohibit students from working or only limit work to on campus. Some countries will not allow visitors on a student visa to work.

Do I need to show proof of financial independence to go on exchange?

Many universities will ask you to show a proof of funds demonstrating that you have enough money to support yourself while on exchange. There are also many countries that will ask you to show a proof of funds when you apply for a student visa. For example, if you apply to go on exchange in the USA, the host university will ask you to produce a letter from your bank or bank statement, which shows that you or your parents have a certain amount (generally anywhere between $4000-$10000) available for your expenses overseas.

Will I need to get a special visa to study overseas?

Yes, in most cases you will have to get a student visa for the country you will be studying in before you leave Australia. You will need to apply to the relevant High Commission, Consulate or Embassy. Student visas are issued on the understanding that you maintain a full time enrolment. Students travelling to the US should note they may be required to travel domestically to a US Embassy (Located in Melbourne, Sydney or Perth) to acquire a US Student Visa and will need to pay the associated costs. Students bound for the UK or Canada on a semester exchange can enter the country on special permits and not required to apply for visa unless they intend to work part-time. Other countries in general will require the appropriate visa.

NOTE: Visas are not the responsibility of Flinders University. Please check with the relevant Consulate of Embassy.

Am I required to purchase travel insurance?

Yes, you are! It is essential that students obtain travel insurance that covers the duration of their time overseas (including any additional travel at the start or end of their exchange period) prior to booking their flights overseas. There are a number of different providers that can provide students with travel insurance. A registered travel agency can provide you with a quote or there are a number of online providers. Flinders University also offers travel insurance and can offer insurance coverage for students travelling overseas for University business or study purposes. Some North American partners require students to purchase their university insurance policy. Please check with the relevant partner university for further details.

Do I need a health check before I go on exchange?

It is advised that you consult your general practitioner, or one of the university's health services, well before finalising any travel arrangements to check whether you need any vaccinations, or supplies of medications and to ensure that you have a healthy time abroad.US partners require exchange students to complete a medical health certificate.

Does Flinders University organise my travel arrangements?

No, students are responsible for organising all of their travel arrangements.

Is housing available to exchange students?

On campus housing is available at many of our exchange destinations but is not guaranteed. Our exchange partners will also provide some assistance if you choose to live off-campus in private accommodation. Students who plan on taking their family should check with the accommodation provider whether they can accommodate children.

Will there be someone to pick me up at the airport?

Many of our partner institutions offer airport pickup upon arrival and drop-off at your accommodation free of charge.