Program Title: SummerNTU: Creative Writing
Program Location: Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
GEM Trailblazer summer programmes offers you the opportunity to study at NTU, a young and research intensive University in Singapore, and the fastest rising university in the world's top 50. Our unique summer programmes shall open up fascinating Asian cultural experiences and opportunities to enhance your future business career in Asia.
Students can select 1 class from the following options:
HZ9205 Exterior Worlds – Writing for Film
HZ9202 Prose (Fiction) – Voyages in Fiction
HZ9203 Prose (Non-Fiction) – Home and Away
HL2020 World Poetry – Embodied Senses through Multimedia Ekphrasis
CS0204 Basic Media Writing
Program Dates: 4 – 29 July 2016
Places Available: 6 undergraduate students (including Honours)
Application Deadline: Saturday, 30 April 2016 (extended)
Eligibility: Completion of 36 units (including at least 9 units of Creative Writing topics) with a minimum overall GPA of 4.5; formal credit letter from course coordinator and Faculty Office.
Students must hold Australian citizenship and must not have previously received a New Colombo Plan Scholarships in order to qualify.
Credit: On completion, students may be eligible for credit as outlined below:
- BCA(CW) or Creative Writing majors in other degrees (example BA, BED/BA) – credit towards Creative Writing for the Creative Writing type programs with extra work required (total 4.5 units each). Additional work set and marked by Associate Prof Steve Evans.
- Bachelor of Media Arts – students will get 4.5 units credit (Flinders option topic for B.Media Arts) for HZ9205 Exterior Worlds – Writing for Film on condition that an extra 1000 – 1500 word assignment is also completed. Dr Julia Erhart approved.
- BA (High Achievers) – eligible for 4.5 units elective credit or credit for ARTS2000 (if they have not already completed this topic) – extra work required to be arranged at the time with Dr Giselle Bastin. Approval on a case by case basis.
- BA or BED/BA students can get elective credit or credit towards English major for the creative writing type programs provided they have already completed at least 9 units of their English major. Extra 1000 – 1500 word assignment required per program. Approved only on a case by case basis (Dr Dymphna Lonergan).
Costs: As a Flinders exchange partner, students do not pay tuition fees to Nanyang Technological University.
Successful applicants may be eligible to receive a New Colombo Plan Scholarship of AUD$3,000 and an OS-HELP loan of up to AUD$7,764.
Flinders students are responsible for the travel and personal expenses i.e. airfares, accommodation, meals, visa costs, Flinders travel and health insurance* in addition to the following charges payable to NTU:
- Administrative fee = S$800
- Material fee = S$230
- On-campus accommodation fee (twin share room) = S$30 per day (excluding meal plan and air-conditioner usage).
Accommodation is guaranteed on-campus at one of the 18 halls of residence in double occupancy rooms however no meal plan is included. Dining options are available at either the Hall of Residence canteens or at food places around the NTU campus.
* Students are required to purchase the NTU Group Hospital and Surgical Insurance (GHSI) which is included in the Administrative fee. Flinders recommends purchasing additional personal travel insurance coverage if you plan to travel before or after the SummerNTU 2016 program.
Information on Flinders Travel Insurance: http://www.flinders.edu.au/integritygovernancerisk/insurance/travel-insurance/business-and-study-travel-insurance.cfm
How to Apply:
- Contact the Learn Without Borders team for initial assessment of study and GPA requirement.
- Meet with the relevant Faculty Admin Officer to receive credit approval to participate and obtain a formal credit letter.
Education, Humanities and Law – Lauren Richards (email@example.com)
- Applicants apply directly to NTU via the online application form at http://global.ntu.edu.sg/GMP/GEMTrailblazer/SummerProgramme/Whenyouapply/Pages/ApplyNow.aspx.
You will need to upload the following supporting documents to your online application:
- official transcript
- passport sized photo
- scanned copy of passport information page
4. Following submission, please forward the application acknowledgment email to the Learn Without Borders team (firstname.lastname@example.org).