Program Title: Improving nursing and midwifery clinical knowledge, skills and cultural understandings through overseas hospital and community experiences.
Program Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Program Overview: This short term mobility program will provide undergraduate nursing and midwifery students with a 2 week work integrated learning experience in MH Thamrin University and Health Care facilities. These acute and community health care experiences will provide students with a unique opportunity to appreciate richness in cultural diversity and different approaches to international health care.
The Project also aims to intensify student and staff engagement with Indonesia’s health systems, enabling identification of areas of research and community development need, thereby increasing our working capability in the region.
Students will work alongside Indonesian registered nurses, midwives and students to gain health care experiences relevant to the practical components of the curriculum. These experiences will significantly deepen the students understanding of Indonesian people and their health needs, affording them an appreciation of population, cultural and health care diversity.
Engagement with their Indonesian counterparts in clinical and educational environments and facilitation by Australian nurses and midwives will provide opportunities to consolidate new knowledge, develop international partnerships, and foster skills in international communication.
- Departure date: Tuesday 25June 2019
- Return date: Wednesday 10 July 2019
Places Available: 12 (Please note, 4 of the 12 positions have been filled from the postponed 2018 program).
- 3rd year Bachelor of Midwifery students (enrolled in MIDW3302, MIDW3304 or MIDW3306 in Semester 1).
- 3rd year Bachelor of Nursing students (enrolled in MIDW3305).
If you are a part time 3rd year student not enrolled in any of the above topics and are interested in going, please contact Pauline Hill (BNurs) or Kristen Graham (BMid).
- Australian citizens
- Undergraduate students
- GPA of 4.5 or higher in current degree
- Students will be required to attend compulsory preparation, culture and language workshops prior to departure, commencing in April.
Costs: Funding available
A total of twelve (12) $3,000 New Colombo Plan Mobility grants are available to support eligible participants. In addition, students may also be eligible to apply for an OS Help Loan.
The approximate cost for the trip is $3000 includes (example);
- Program fees
- Accommodation (hotel/guesthouse)
- In-country transportation
- Return airfares between Adelaide and Indonesia
Students are responsible for additional expenses such as an application for a passport, visa, vaccination, additional meals, extra activities and transport and personal expenses.
Students are eligible to register with Flinders travel insurance, which is provided free of charge.
How to Apply:
Submit an Expression of Interest to Kristen Graham and Pauline Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline.
Your expression of interest should include the following:
- A completed Application Form available on the Travel.Study.Experience site on FLO ( ‘Additional’ topic tab)
- Your unofficial transcript (download one from the Student Systems)
- A short statement (no more than 500 words) in response to the following three questions:
- Why do you want to be involved in this international study tour?
- What unique contribution would you make to the team?
- What do you hope to gain personally and professionally from this experience?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on the Travel.Study.Experience site in FLO (under ‘Additional’ topic tab).
Kristen Graham: email@example.com or 8201 3918.