Program Title: IRU Scholars in Asia: Vietnam Study Tour 2016
Program Location: Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, and various other sites in Vietnam
• This program is a part of the Innovative Research Universities (IRU) Scholars in Asia initiative to support student engagement, leadership and work experience programs in Asian countries.
• It is a three week program that provides a wide range of in-Vietnam experiences for a diverse set of students, with little or no previous experience with Vietnam and aims to provide an authentic in-country introduction to Vietnam, business, politics, culture and history.
• Please see Sample Itinerary (PDF 22KB) (note the itinerary is subject to change)
• The program is open to students from any study areas, but it may suit to students in Humanities, International Relations and Business.
For quick information, please see IRU Scholars in Asia-Vietnam Study Tour (PDF 6MB)
Program Dates: 28 November – 15 December, 2016
Places Available: Now only 1 place
Open To: Undergraduate
Application Deadline: 5pm, Friday 5 August 2016
Eligibility: Undergraduates: completion of 18 units with an overall GPA of 5.0, or completion of 36 units with an overall GPA of 4.0 formal credit letter from Faculty Office.
Credit: Students may be eligible to receive 4.5 units of elective credit towards their Flinders degrees following completion of the program.
Costs: The program fee is AUD$4,197.
Program fees include:
• Private group airport transfers – as per itinerary
• In-country transportation to itinerary items – as per itinerary
• Domestic flight from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City
• Breakfast provided daily, as well as group welcome and farewell dinners – as per itinerary
• Shared housing in centrally located hotels and dormitories throughout the program with 2 to 3 students per room (separate beds).
• Gratuities for tour guides, bus drivers and similar
• All group excursions and entrance fees – as per itinerary
• Pre-trip organisational program materials - Welcome Handbook, Leader Handbook and detailed Student Pre-Departure Guide
• Extensive staff support throughout all phases of the program
• 24 hour emergency access to support staff and offices
• CIS On-Site Program Coordinator
• Risk Management and Emergency Response Plan
• Post trip evaluation, surveys and hard copy photo book
In addition, supplementary costs such as airfares, travel insurance, visa/passport costs and personal expenses (meals etc.) associated with participating in the IRU Scholars in Asia: Vietnam study tour are the responsibility of each student.
• Payment will be made following final confirmation of acceptance and enrolment at Griffith University.
• Following initial acceptance to the course, a $400 non-refundable deposit is required to be paid to Griffith University by 29 July.
• To confirm a place, each student must make a final payment to Griffith University by 21 August.
• Details on the method of payment will be provided directly to the accepted student.
If you withdraw voluntarily from the program you will receive the following refund on program fees already paid (excluding the non-refundable deposit):
• Withdrawal more than 60 days prior to program commencement, you will be refunded all recoverable fees paid.
• Withdrawal between 30 and 60 days prior to departure, you will be refunded 50 per cent of program fees.
• Withdrawal 29 days or less prior to departure date, no refund will be made.
• The date of cancellation will be the date that Griffith receives the formal written notification from your home university.
Financial Assistance: As an IRU Scholars in Asia participant, financial assistance is available to eligible students to assist with the program fee and additional costs:
• 2 x $3,000 New Colombo Plan (NCP) Travel grants,
• 2 x $1,500 IRU Scholars in Asia grants, and
Students can apply for the OS-HELP loans (available up to $7,764 per student)
How to Apply:
Interested students should consult with the relevant Faculty / School Office before applying to ensure that the program is acceptable for credit towards their Flinders University degree.
1. Contact the Learn Without Borders team for initial assessment of study and GPA requirement and to find out how to apply