Work Integrated Learning and Experiencing Physiotherapy Services in an African Context (Malawi)
University of Malawi College of Medicine, Blantyre
This project will give Australian physiotherapy students the opportunity to experience firsthand the professional, work, life and culture in an African context while developing their own knowledge and skills as physiotherapists. Flinders physiotherapy students will themselves gain clinical skills and valuable experience in immersing themselves in the culture and clinical environment of Malawi contributing to building clinical services and capacity in Malawi.
Students will be supported by local physiotherapists and Prof. Sheila Lennon from Flinders University during this clinical placement to provide enhanced clinical services at the main hospital and community placement sites. You will offer undertake clinical placement experience at the Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital where you can expect exposure to outpatient musculoskeletal physiotherapy and orthopaedics, burn management, cardiorespiratory practice and ICU and outpatient paediatric neurology. You will also be able to gain adult neurology experience at the Kachere Rehabilitation Centre. You will also be expected to offer peer support to local undergraduate students, assisting in simulation exercises as well as involvement in designing and delivering training to upskill rehabilitation assistants.
3rd October-28 October 2016 (CP6)
Final Year Masters in Physiotherapy students
7th March 2016
• Applicants must be in final year of the Master of Physiotherapy program with a GPA of 5 or above
• Applicants must have passed all previous clinical placements
• Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia
• Applicants must be available to complete CP 6 in Malawi starting on the 3rd October ending on Friday 28th October 2016 (4 weeks x 5 days per week).
4.5 Units (Partial completion of PHYT 9009)
AUD$2,000 Study Overseas Short-term Mobility (STMP) Scholarship available per student.
Please note costs below are estimates and a guide only.
|Accommodation||$900 (30 days at $30 per night)|
|Malawi Tuition fee||$280 ($70.00 per week)|
|Medical council of Malawi fee||$140|
|Food||$420 (30 days @$14.00 per day)|
Students may also be eligible for an OS-HELP loan up to AUD$6,470 – eligibility and application information are available on the Scholarships Office website.
Flinders University will cover professional and public liability and the Insurance office can arrange low cost health cover.
Costs in Malawi
All estimates of AUD used the exchange rates
1USD = 1.40 AUD
1 MWK = 0.00221046 AUD
Accommodation will be booked centrally: no places are guaranteed Places will need to be booked as early as possible to ensure availability
• Basic/Dormitory style with breakfast AUS$2.50 per night
• Guest house, some with self-catering from AU$13.80 – AU$35.00 per night.
• A number of hotels at higher prices.
How to Apply:
Please email a one page expression of interest by email to email@example.com by Monday 7th March 2016 outlining the following:
• why you are interested in doing placement in Malawi
• what you consider the likely challenges are to be in undertaking placements in Malawi
• how this experience will develop your knowledge and skills as physiotherapists