Installing and using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client on Mac OS X
Note: Green highlights in images indicate settings that must be changed or clicked on and Red highlights indicate the action that must be taken to continue to the next step.
Screenshots were taken in Safari 6 running on Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion). Some windows and dialog boxes may appear different in other web browser/operating system combinations.
Logging into the main VPN page
- Open a web browser and go to
- Set the Group to Flinders, enter your FAN and password into the login page and click Login:
Click the 'Continue' button on the Welcome screen.
Note: Apple has recently disabled all versions of Java prior to Java 7 Update 13 due to security concerns. If you see the ‘Missing Plug-in' link pop up on the installation screen (shown below) you will need to update to the latest version of Java or complete the installation manually.
- Regardless of the web browser you are using, the installer will initially try and use Java to install AnyConnect. If you have Java installed on your computer, you will see the message shown below. Click Run to continue the installation:
- The AnyConnect installer will download and install automatically:
- The Cisco AnyConnect client should automatically connect once installed. You can double click the icon displayed in the screenshot below on your computer to see the status of the connection or disconnect from the VPN:
- Once installed, the software can be found in the Cisco folder inside Applications and is called the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client:
If the computer is unable to use Java to install the client, it will offer the option of installing the VPN client manually.
- Click on the ‘Mac OS X 10.6 (Intel)' link (shown above) to begin downloading the installer. The download should automatically open but you may need to manually open the installer (the location it is downloaded to may differ depending on your web browser):
- Double click the vpn.pkg file to start the installer:
- Click Continue on the AnyConnect installer welcome screen:
- Click continue on the license agreement screen to display the Agree or Disagree options:
- Click the Agree button to accept the terms in the License Agreement and continue the installation:
- Click the Install button (you will be prompted for the username and password of an administrator of your computer):
- When the installer has finished, click the Close button:
- To open the VPN client, double click the ‘Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client' icon in the Cisco folder in Applications (shown below):
- Type vpn.flinders.edu.au into the box and click Connect:
- Select the Flinders group from the drop down menu, enter your FAN and Password and click OK
- The VPN client will show that it has connected successfully: