When leaving your computer unattended, it is best practice to lock it so that it requires your FAN and password to be entered before it can be used again. University managed staff and student lab computers will automatically lock after 15 minutes of inactivity. This ensures that no one can sit down at your computer while it is unattended and any systems or data using your identity.
The instructions below demonstrate how to lock both Windows and MAC OS X based computers.
Windows (All versions) - Keyboard Shortcut
Windows 7 - Start Menu / Screen
- Open the Start Menu by clicking the windows button from the task bar
- Click the arrow button located at the bottom right of the start menu next to the shutdown button
- Click Lock
Windows 10 - Start Menu / Screen
- Open the Start screen by clicking the windows button from the task bar
- Click the name of the currently logged in user located at the top left of the start screen
- Click Lock
Mac OS X (All versions) - Keyboard Shortcut
Mac OS X (All versions) - Alternate Method
Select the Keychain icon in the Menu bar and choose 'Lock Screen'
If the Keychain item is not visible on the Menu bar, it can be enabled through the following instructions:
- Open Finder, click the Go menu on the Menu bar and click Applications
- Double click on Utilities
- Double click on Keychain Access
- Click Keychain Access in the Menu Bar and then click Preferences:
- Click the ‘Show keychain status in menu bar’ option to select it (see below)
- Close Keychain Access
- Select the Keychain icon in the Menu bar and choose 'Lock Screen' (as above)