Below are some tips for protecting your mobile devices while travelling overseas.
Preparing for your trip
- Review the University Travel Policy and the Global Roaming information.
- If travelling overseas then ensure you review the Overseas Travel Security Directive (PDF 249KB) and adhere to the advice
- Find out if countries you are visiting are considered 'high risk'. Look at the travel guidance for that country and register your travel plans with Smart Traveller.
- Notify ITS if you are travelling with a University device containing sensitive data.
- Always any sensitive information from your device that you don't need before travelling.
- Don't check-in IT equipment. Take it as carry-on luggage.
- Avoid using public workspaces or untrusted insecure wi-fi networks as these could be able to monitor your activity. If you require access, do not enter any usernames, passwords or other sensitive information.
- Use the Flinders Virtual Private Network (VPN) if you are required to access any sensitive information.
- Be diligent in protecting your device against theft or loss.
- If your device is stolen or lost notify ITS immediately.