You FAN will de-activate once your association with the University ends.
FAN de-activation occurs differently based on your user type.
Staff (including affiliates recorded in the HR System)
Your FAN will become inactive at close of business on your last day of employment at the University as defined in the University’s HR system.
Prior to this date, it is recommended that you set up an out-of-office message to notify senders that you are no longer with the University and to provide alternate contact details.
University email is a business record and has to be retained indefinitely to meet State Records’ retention requirements.
It is therefore the responsibility of each staff member to ensure that any personal email contacts are advised of an alternate email account as email sent to the University will not be forwarded to an outside address.
Your supervisior will receive email notifications 40 and 20 days prior to your account de-activating.
If you take an extended period of leave immediately prior to leaving the University, your FAN will become inactive on your last day of active duty.
Your FAN will remain active for the full calendar year in which you are enrolled in one or more topics.
If you are eligible to enrol, but do not enrol as a student in the following year your email access will continue to be provided until you are no longer eligible to enrol (usually on first of October of that year). You can set up an out-of-office message to notify senders of your new contact details or configure email forwarding to another account.
If you are a graduate, your FAN account will remain active for one calendar year following graduation. You will receive an email notification 14 days prior to your account de-activating.
Students with no Flinders Student Number/Contractors/Visitors
Your FAN will become inactive at close of business on the end date specified by the Sponsor of your account, typically the expiry date reflects the end of your formal association with the University.
You and your sponsor will receive an email notification of expiry 20 days before your account is de-activated.
Extensions to Access
Your access will not normally be extended beyond the above timeframes unless:
- For students, you enrol in another course.
- For staff (and other affiliates recorded in the HR System), a formal extension request is endorsed by a relevant Dean/Division Head and authorised by the Director, Human Resources in the following cases:
- A formal extension to their association with the University is imminent (but, not finalised)
- Any other cases as deemed appropriate by the Director, Human Resources to ensure continuity of University functions, please refer to the IT Access Extension Guidelines for Staff.
- For sponsored users, a sponsoring staff member elects to extend the account by applying via ITS Self-Service for an extension.