What are Educational Purposes and the Statutory Licences?

The Copyright Act allows the University to reproduce and communicate (i.e. make available online) copyright material for educational purposes under certain conditions and restrictions without having to seek the copyright owner's permission. These provisions are outlined in Part VA and Part VB of the Copyright Act and are also called statutory licences. The University pays an annual fee to the Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) and ScreenRights for the right to reproduce and communicate material under the licences.

For the purpose of copyright, educational purposes are defined as where the reproduction or communication is made for a particular course provided by the University or for the administration of that course. They also cover the reproduction of material for inclusion in a library collection. Educational purposes do not cover general or commercial activities of the University, such as marketing and promotion.

Reproduction is defined as copying any work. A communication occurs when a work or part of a work is made available online (e.g. uploaded to the University server for students to access) or electronically communicated (e.g. as an electronic file, email attachment or fax).

There are 2 statutory licences:

The statutory licence for reproduction and communication of print or graphic works.

This is known as the Part VB licence. It allows the University to make multiple copies of textual (i.e. journal articles, books,etc) and graphic materials (i.e. images) for educational purposes. It is divided into the hardcopy scheme and the electronic use scheme (EUS). The hardcopy scheme covers making photocopies & compiling course packs. The EUS deals with reproducing and communicating electronic material, e.g. scanning a print journal article to make it available electronically or printing out an electronic document. It also covers the communication of the material by email, fax or posting onto a secure web site.

The Part VB licence is administered by the Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) who collect the remuneration fees and then redistribute the funds to copyright owners as payment for materials copied for educational purposes.

For more information see:

The statutory licence for copying and communication of broadcasts:

This is known as the Part VA licence. It allows the University to make off air copies of radio and television broadcasts, including pay television and satellite broadcasts and podcasts or webcasts of broadcasts. This licence is administered by Screenrights - the collecting society for the audio-visual industry.

For more information see Using Radio & TV Broadcasts for Educational Purposes

In addition, the Flinders University is party to an industry licence with the Australian Music Industry for the use of recorded music for educational purposes. Again, an annual fee is paid to the music collecting societies, APRA/AMCOS, ARIA and PPCA, who then distribute royalties to their members. The Music Licence confers limited rights to perform and/or record music for educational purposes.

Further Information

Overview of Copyright Guidelines for Using Copyright Material for Educational Purposes.

Using Copyright Material for Research or Study

inspiring achievement