Statutory licences

The provisions under s113P of the Copyright Act allow the University to copy and communicate works, published editions and broadcasts for educational purposes without needing to seek permission from the copyright owner. The University pays an annual fee to the relevant collecting societies for the right to use these statutory licences. There are various limitations and conditions relating to what type of material the licences cover, how you can use the material, and the amount you can use.

The following requirements apply to both licences:

  • the use must be for educational purposes;
  • access is restricted to Flinders staff and students;
  • full attribution is provided;
  • copyright warning notices are displayed.


Copying and communicating audio-visual material from broadcasts

The licence allows the University to record, reproduce, perform and communicate radio and television broadcasts for educational purposes. This applies to broadcasts from Australia and countries which are signatory to the Rome Convention.

The provision is very flexible and there are no limitations regarding:

  • the source of the broadcast, e.g. it could be free-to-air, pay or satellite, or a podcast of a broadcast;
  • the amount copied, e.g. you can copy a segment, an episode or an entire series;
  • the format of the copy, e.g. you can make a copy in a CD, DVD, MP3, or MP4 format;  
  • the location of the copying, e.g. you can record programs at home or work;
  • the number of copies, e.g. you can make multiple copies to distribute to every enrolled student.

This licence is administered by Screenrights who collect the remuneration fees and then redistribute the funds to the copyright owners.


Copying and communicating print and graphic material

This licence allows the University to copy literary, dramatic, artistic or musical works, and published editions for educational purposes. This includes making hard copies to distribute to students in class or in a course pack and communicating electronic copies of material, e.g. through FLO.

The amount allowed to be copied and communicated varies depending on the type of material. For more information look at the Guidelines for using copyright material for teaching.

This licence is administered by the Copyright Agency Limited who collect the remuneration fees and then redistribute the funds to the copyright owners.