Welcome to Flinders University Library.
The Library is made up of four branch libraries:
- Central (on the Plaza of the north ridge precinct)
- Law (on level 3 of the Central Library building)
- Sturt (at the Sturt precinct)
- Gus Fraenkel Medical Library (on the 5th floor of the Flinders Medical Centre)
as well as the Universities’ Research Repository of SA
This short guide offers a self-paced tour of Level 1 (entry level) of the Central Library building. Match the number on the map with the corresponding number in the text and read about the services offered in that space. Please feel welcome to request additional information from the relevant service desks.
1. Main Entrance
- Opening hours
- Also on our webpage: www.flinders.edu.au/library/info/hours
- 24/7 return chutes
- For items borrowed from any of the Flinders Library branches.
2. Library Gates
- Food & drink policy:
- Cold food & covered drinks ok; no hot or messy food or uncovered drinks
- Noise policy
- Choose your study space according to preferred noise level: Green: small group study, Orange: quiet study, Rred: silent study.
3. Red Pillars
- One Byte Café
- Open for extended hours during the academic term. Everything purchased here may be eaten in the Library (as long as drinks are covered).
- Find a computer kiosk (also on mobile library page)
- Over 260 PCs available for student use in this building. Log in with your FAN and password. No booking needed; first come, first serve. (Sometimes labs will be reserved for Library classes).
- Learning hub
- Green group study space, includes some of the student PCs, lounge chairs.
4. Self Service Desks
- Cut the queues; use your Student ID card to check out your own books, DVDs, etc.
- Requests pickup
- Collect an item being held for you, then borrow using the self-service loan machines. You can place a request on a book or DVD if all copies are out on loan. When it is returned to the library, we let you know by email.
5. Staffed Service Desks
- Loans desk
- Use your ID card to borrow from the 2 hour Readings (high demand) collection, borrow keys to the laptop/device charging lockers.
- Information desk
- Ask a librarian for help to find resources for your assignments, pickup a document delivery item, and pickup your Student ID Card if you have ordered it online.
- FLO help desk
- Request help to set a password and use Flinders Learning Online (FLO), access the WiFi network and help with IT issues.
- ID cards
- Once enrolled you can come here to request your Student ID card (also your Library card.) First card free; lost card replacement: $10.00.
6. Library Catalogue Search Computers
- Search for the location of items in the Library collections. (No access to websites beyond the university on these PCs).
- Information Hub
- Pick up brochures on finding items in the library, finding your Readings, a Campus Map, the demerit points system for overdue books, as well as IT Support information for issies with FLO and software installation.
- Directory signs
- Work out which level of the Library you need to go to collect a book or DVD you want to borrow.
7. Unicard Printing Office
- Ask here for assistance with printing and photocopying
- phone: 820 13413
- web: http://unicard.com.au/flinders/
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Liaison Librarian Offices
Each faculty has a nominated Liaison Librarian able to assist you to learn how to use the library and its resources. Check out who is the Liaison Librarian for your faculty and pay a visit.
9. New Items Area
- New books and DVDs live on these shelves. These can be borrowed for 7 days. Next to them are the week’s newspapers and latest print journals.
10. Training Wing
- Writing Centre
- Drop in to see Student Learning Centre staff for help with the planning and structure of assignments
- Computing labs
- Four labs with PCs available for student use. No booking required; first come, first serve. (Sometimes labs will be reserved for classes and you will be asked to leave).
- Noel Stockdale room
- Location of public events hosted by the University, e.g., Wednesday concert series, Fridays at the Library. (PS: Noel was the first University Librarian)
Thanks for taking the tour - let us know if you have questions or feedback.