Welcome to Flinders University Library.
The Library is made up of four branch libraries:
- Central (on the Plaza of the north ridge precinct) Virtual tour new
- Law (on level 3 of the Central Library building)
- Sturt (at the Sturt precinct) Virtual tour new
- Gus Fraenkel Medical Library (on the 5th floor of the Flinders Medical Centre)
as well as the Universities’ Research Repository of SA
This short guide offers a self-paced tour of Level 1 (entry level) of the Central Library building. Match the number on the map with the corresponding number in the text and read about the services offered in that space. Please feel welcome to request additional information from the relevant service desks.
1. Main Entrance
- Opening hours
- Also on our webpage: www.flinders.edu.au/library/info/hours
- 24/7 return chutes
- For books borrowed from any of the Flinders branch Libraries.
2. Library Gates
- Food & drink policy:
- Cold food & covered drinks ok; no hot or messy food or uncovered drinks
- Noise policy
- Choose your study space according to preferred noise level: small group study, quiet study, silent study.
3. Red Pillars
- One Byte Café
- Open for extended hours during the academic term. Everything purchased here may be eaten in the Library (as long as drinks are covered)
- Find a computer kiosk (also on mobile library page)
- Over 260 PCs available for student use in this building, log in with your fan and password. No booking; first come, first serve. (Sometimes labs will be reserved for Library classes)
- Learning hub
- Green group study space, includes some of the student PCs, lounge chairs.
4. Self Service Desks
- Cut the queues; use your Student ID card to check out your own books, DVDs, etc.
- Requests pickup
- Collect an item being held for you, then borrow. You can place a request on a book or DVD if it is already on loan. When it is returned to the library, we let you know.
5. Staffed Service Desks
- Loans desk
- Use your ID card to borrow from the 2 hour Readings (high demand) collection, book a study room, register for the 24 hour lab, borrow keys to the laptop/device charging lockers, borrow headphones
- Pick up a Library hours bookmark, Campus map, info about your Liaison Librarian, demerits points system for overdue books
- Information desk
- Ask a librarian for help to find resources for your assignments
- FLO help desk
- Request help to set a password and use Flinders Learning Online (FLO)
- ID cards
- Once enrolled you can come here to request your Student ID card (also your Library card.) First card free; lost card replacement: $10.00.
6. Library Catalogue Bench
- Search for the location of an item in the Library collection. (No access to sites beyond the university on these PCs)
- Stairwell sign
- Work out which level of the Library you need to go to collect a book or DVD you want to borrow.
7. Unicard Printing Office
- Ask here for assistance with printing and photocopying
- phone: 820 13413
- web: http://unicard.com.au/flinders/
- email: email@example.com
8. Liaison Librarian Offices
Each faculty has a nominated Liaison Librarian able to assist you to learn how to use the library and its resources. Check out who is the Liaison Librarian for your faculty and pay a visit.
9. Wisdom Corner
- New in the Library
- New books and DVDs live on these shelves. Behind are the week’s newspapers and latest print journals. Also some basic reference books and some CD-ROM for use within the Library.
10. Training Wing
- Writing Centre
- Drop in to see Student Learning Centre staff for help with the planning and structure of assignments
- Computing labs
- Four labs with some of the PCs available for student use. No booking; first come, first serve. (Sometimes labs will be reserved for classes)
- Noel Stockdale room
- Location of public events hosted by the University, e.g., Wednesday concert series, Fridays at the Library. (PS: Noel was the first University Librarian)
Thanks for taking the tour - let us know if you have questions or feedback.