Apart from the separate named collections, the following types of material are held on closed access in Special Collections:
- Rare and antiquarian books
- Limited editions valuable for either their content or aesthetic importance
- Books of aesthetic importance, fine printing, special press material, fine binding, fine art work etc.
- Fine prints, drawings and photographs including portfolios and items including loose plates
- Fragile items
- Vulnerable material
- Serials published before 1850
- Slide Collection
- South Australiana
Any queries regarding their use should be directed to Special Collections.
General conditions apply to all other special collections.
All Special Collections material is to be used in the Special Collections reading room.
After hours access to some categories of material may be granted at the discretion of Special Collections.
Opening Hours for Special Collections
Usually available Monday to Friday, 10.00am - 1.00pm, and 2.00pm - 4.00pm, or by appointment.
Please contact us before you visit as staff are not always in attendance.
email@example.com | 8201 3069
Closed all public holidays
Special Collections is situated in the Central Library on Level 3 , adjacent to the Law collection.
- The Special Collections Reading Room has seating for up to 15 people.
- A photocopier and scanner are available.
- Permission to copy material (subject to copyright law) depends on the condition of the original document.
- Access to the Library's catalogue and the Internet is available.
- Some collections are bequeathed to the University, such as the Heap Mannam Collection,
- or bought with funds bequeathed to the University, such as the Charles Bright Rare Book Fund.
- Several collections, such as the Bookplate, Badge and Theatre Programs collections, are chiefly made up of material donated by University staff and the general public.
- Please see the Library Donations page for donation policies and procedures.
- Please contact Special Collections if you would like to discuss a donation, or complete the donations form.
For more information contact Special Collections.
Search the collections
Over 100 specific collections of books, speeches, images, archives and manuscripts.
- Bannon Collection
- Archives, images and library of the Hon. Dr. John Bannon, academic, historian and former South Australian Premier
- Borrow Collection
- Early settlement history of South Australia from the collection of Keith Travers Borrow
- Dunstan Collection
- Speeches, images, archives and library of Don Dunstan, former South Australian Premier
- Evatt Collection
- Archives and library of Dr H.V. Evatt, former federal Minister and Leader of the Opposition
|Bookplate by Adrian Feint
for Thea Proctor.
|Canton ware bowl
Chinese domestic scenes.
Heap Mannam Collection