Over 100 specific collections of books, speeches, images, archives and manuscripts
- Bannon Collection
- Archives, images and library of the Hon. Dr. John Bannon, academic, historian and former South Australian Premier
- Borrow Collection
- Early settlement history of South Australia from the collection of Keith Travers Borrow
- Dunstan Collection
- Speeches, images, archives and library of Don Dunstan, former South Australian Premier
- Evatt Collection
- Archives and library of Dr H.V. Evatt, former federal Minister and Leader of the Opposition
|Bookplate by Adrian Feint
for Thea Proctor.
|Canton ware bowl
Chinese domestic scenes.
Heap Mannam Collection
Apart from the separate named collections, the following types of material are held on closed access in special collections:
- Rare and antiquarian books
- Limited editions valuable for either their content or aesthetic importance
- Books of aesthetic importance, fine printing, special press material, fine binding, fine art work etc.
- Fine prints, drawings and photographs including portfolios and items including loose plates
- Deposit copies of Flinders University theses
- Fragile items
- Vulnerable material
- Serials published before 1850
- Archival material relating to Flinders University
- Slide Collection
- Staff Publications and Research Publications Collections
- South Australiana
All Special Collections material is to be used in the Special Collections reading room.
After hours access to some categories of material may be granted at the discretion of the Special Collections Librarian.
Opening Hours for Special Collections
Monday - Friday: 9am to 5pm
Closed all public holidays
Special Collections is situated in the Central Library on Level 3, adjacent to the Law Library.
- The Special Collections Reading Room has seating for up to 17 people.
- A photocopier and scanner are available.
- Permission to copy material (subject to copyright law) depends on the condition of the original document.
- Access to the Library's catalogue and the Internet is available.
- Some collections are bequeathed to the University, such as the Heap Mannam Collection ,
- or bought with funds bequeathed to the University, such as the Charles Bright Rare Book Fund.
- Further details of bequests are available from the Special Collections Librarian
- Special Collections welcomes offers of material to add to our resources.
- Several collections, such as the bookplate , badge and theatre programme collections, are chiefly made up of material donated by university staff and the general public.
- Please contact the Special Collections Librarian if you would like to discuss a donation.
Coming Events and Exhibitions
- Events and exhibitions are held regularly.
- Coming Events Lists the next Special Collections or Library event.
- The Library's policy on external exhibitions is also available.
For more information contact the Special Collections Librarian.