The Web of Science(TM) Core Collection is the Library's prime source of basic citation data and comprises four citation databases:Science Citation Index Expanded (1965-present)
- Social Sciences Citation Index (1965-present)
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (1977-present)
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index- Science (1990-present)
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index- Social Science & Humanities (1990-present)
- Current Chemical Reactions (1985-present)
- (Includes Institut National de la Propriete Industrielle structure data back to 1840)
- Index Chemicus (1993-present)
It covers approximately 40 million journal articles from around 8700 scholarly journals, with a bias towards the sciences.
When searching for a journal article, Web of Knowledge will provide the number of times that article has been cited by others as well as links to a listing of those articles.
To find citation data:
- Go to the Web of Science database
- Select Web of Science(TM) Core Collection from the drop down menu "all databases".
- Select the Cited Reference Search option from the dop down menu "basic search".
- Select the relevant citation database in "more settings". Change the dates to cover the relevant time period.
- Enter the authors name, cited work or year. (Cited work refers to the publication in which the work appeared).
- Click Search to display the Cited Reference selection page, which lists the references that match your search criteria.
- From the Cited Reference selection page you can
- Select references of interest by clicking individual checkboxes
- Click on the Select Page button (which selects all the references on the current page) or
- Click on the Select All button (which selects all references for that name)
- Click on the Finish Search button to retrieve the articles that cite the selected references.
- OR click on View Record to see full details of the reference including an abstract
For any help using Web of Knowledge, please contact your Liaison Librarian