The Library uses demerit points to support the fair sharing of library resources by encouraging the return of borrowed library materials on time. As soon as an item that you have on loan becomes overdue, demerit points will start accruing to your account.
When your account has accumulated sixty demerit points your borrowing privileges are suspended indefinitely until all overdue items are returned. Demerit points will continue to accrue, and you will be suspended for two weeks for each sixty points when all overdue items have been returned.
|28 day loans - 1 point per day per item overdue|
|7 day loans - 2 points per day per item overdue|
|3 day loans - 3 points per day per item overdue|
|1 day loans - 5 points per day per item overdue|
|2 hour loan - 2 points per hour per item overdue|
To avoid demerit points
- Take note of the due date on your loan receipt.
- Sign in to FindIt@Flinders to check due dates and renew your loans where possible.
- The easiest way to avoid accruing demerit points is to return material that you have borrowed from the Library either on or before the due date.
The majority of Library users manage to avoid suspension of their borrowing privileges. If you have a question about demerit points or if you have been suspended but wish special circumstances to be taken into account, please talk to a Library staff member:
|Central Library||8201 3705|
|Gus Fraenkel Medical Library||8204 5678|
|Sturt Library||8201 3284|
- The replacement cost must be paid for these items. Please note that the current base replacement cost for lost material is AU $80, which can be adjusted upwards depending on the cost of replacing the lost item.
- You should contact the Lending services supervisor at the branch of the library which the book is from. They can give you more information or may be able to help if there are extenuating circumstances.
Borrowers remain in Bad Financial Standing with the University until all fees are cleared. Where such Fines and Fees are outstanding you may be blocked from enrolling and graduating until the issue has been resolved, so please attend to any Fines and Fees notices received from the library as soon as possible, and check your library record regularly to ensure all loaned items have been returned.
- Payment should be arranged by contacting lending services at your branch.
When a book is declared “Lost”, a replacement cost for the book will be charged. If the book should subsequently be found, the cost of the book will be refunded (if paid) but 35 penalty points will be added to the responsible patron’s demerit points. No refunds will be made on payments more than 2 years old.