Managing Overdue Loans
Flinders Library does not apply fines or fees for overdue loans. However, your borrowing may be affected if you return materials after the due date.
Blocks on your Account
A block on your library account prevents you from borrowing, renewing or requesting library materials. A block may be applied when:
- You have 10 items overdue
- You have overdue items that are declared “lost”
- You have overdue items that are in high demand
- You have accrued 20 demerit points
- You have a sanction for an outstanding debt applied by the Student System
Information about blocks will display when you sign into My Account.
Demerit Point Blocks
Demerit points will accrue when you return overdue items:
- At 5 points per item on which a request has been placed
- At 2 points per item with no request
Your account will be blocked for 14 days with 20 demerit points.
A 12 months (365 days) loan history is checked to calculate demerits.
Demerit points are not itemised. Demerit points may be removed only with the removal of a demerit block.
To avoid losing your borrowing rights
- Return loans on or before the due date
- Act on library notices sent to your university email account
- Contact the Library if you have questions about your loans
The majority of library users manage to avoid suspension of their borrowing privileges.
The replacement cost must be paid for these items. Please attend to any notices for lost books received from the library as soon as possible. Check your library record regularly to ensure all loaned items have been returned.
Phone: 1300 354 633 (select 3 for library) for payment options or more information.
Scholars remain in bad financial standing with the University until all fees are cleared. Where such fees are outstanding you may be blocked from enrolling and graduating until the issue has been resolved.
Please note that the library cannot accept any other copies as a replacement for lost items.
Payment for lost books
Contact the Central Library (in person or by phone on 1300 354 633 from 9am to 4.45pm) to confirm the actual replacement cost of the lost item. At that time they will tell you the options for payment.
Please note that the library cannot accept any other copies as a replacement for lost items. Once payment has been made for lost items no refunds are available.