Graduate opportunities

Graduate opportunities

A number of opportunities exist once you have graduated from the Doctor of Medicine.

Refer to the Medical Board of Australia website for the process and requirements for medical practitioner registration.



The intern year is a paid position working in a teaching hospital. This is undertaken on completion of your degree and must be satisfactorily completed for full medical registration in Australia.


Domestic students

On completion of your degree, students must satisfactorily complete a pre-registration year of hospital service before full registration is approved by the Medical Board of Australia.

Following an internship, most doctors complete another year of hospital service before commencing postgraduate training programs.

Registration is with a national medical board and applicable throughout Australia.


International students

International medical students who graduate from Flinders usually either:

  • seek to return to their own country, or
  • complete an internship in Australia.

Flinders University is not able to guarantee you a medical internship. Internships do not fall under our authority and are managed by respective state and territory governments within its own internship application process and rules.

In South Australia, internship place allocations are managed by South Australian Medical Education and Training (SA MET).

Note: Australia currently has more medical student graduates than the number of internship places available. Projections show that this trend will continue for several years. We are unable to provide advice to applicants on this matter as it falls outside of our jurisdiction. We encourage you to consider your options following graduation.


Overseas internships

If an internship is not available in Australia, you should seek information about an internship in your home country or another country. You will need to consider the associated medical registration provisions.


Returning home to practise medicine

If you wish to practise medicine in countries other than Australia, you must satisfy that country's requirements for foreign medical graduates.

Contact professional medical associations in your home country to determine requirements to practice. For example, to practise in the USA, certification must be obtained from the Education Commissions for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). For Canada, refer to the Canadian Resident Matching Service (CARMS).

Specialist training

To become a specialist, you must complete a training program arranged by one of the recognised professional colleges, for example, the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons or Royal Australasian College of Physicians.

Australian universities do not conduct the courses for medical practitioners who wish to become specialists.

Graduates typically begin specialist training about a year after completing their intern year. A major part of specialist training takes place in teaching hospitals.

More information: Specialist training programs

Postgraduate study

Flinders offers a range of graduate certificate, diploma, masters and doctorate level programs through coursework and research. This education is not a qualification to practise medicine.

More information: Search for a course

English language assessment

If you are an international graduate or if you completed your secondary education in a country other than Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom or the USA, you may need to take steps to meet English language requirements for registration.

More information: Medical Board of Australia website