Flinders Rural Health SA has a large presence in south-eastern South Australia, which stretches across to Hamilton in Victoria, and includes a Flinders University campus on the grounds of Mount Gambier Hospital.
More than 300 students visit the region for work integrated learning placements each year.
Third year Doctor of Medicine (MD) students undertake the 12-month Parallel Rural Community Curriculum (PRCC) program based in Mt Gambier, Naracoorte, and Hamilton in country Victoria.
Nursing, allied health and fourth-year medical students undertake shorter clinical placements at hospitals and health services throughout the region.
Flinders Rural Health SA also coordinates the Junior Doctor Medical Education Program in conjunction with Mt Gambier Hospital. This is the only regional program for newly graduated and resident medical officers in rural South Australia.
The Mount Gambier Flinders University campus provides students with video-conference and lecture facilities, consulting rooms, a large clinical practice workshop suite, and student common facilities including a kitchen and library.
Students can also take advantage of the recent expansions within the Mt Gambier hospital complex, which include new wards and specialist facilities providing up-to-date technology for enhanced student learning opportunities.
A 24/7 Student Learning Centre provides students with a comfortable, friendly and safe working environment.
People in this region
- Mrs Janice Heaven - Administrative Assistant
- Ms Sharon Liu - Administrative Assistant
- Mrs Jacqui Michalski - PRCC Administrator
- Mrs Rob Stafford - Administrative Assistant
- Mrs Michele Summers - Administrative Assistant
- Mrs Sarah Boyd - Lecturer, Rural Interprofessional Education
- Mr Peter Burns - Lecturer, Rural Clinical Education
- Dr Debbie Hough - Clinical Educator, RPTP
- Dr Michelle McIntosh - Clinical Training Director, Junior Doctor Program
- Dr Lydia Twining - Associate Lecturer (GP Registrar Clinical Educator)
- Dr Pradeep Vijayanand - Clinical Educator, Rural Medicine
- Dr Leesa Walker - Academic Coordinator, PRCC Program
Read the list of regional activities that Flinders Rural Health SA and rural students are involved in.
Dr Michelle McIntosh was a South East (Greater Green Triangle) PRCC student in 2007. This was her first experience in rural medicine.
Her time in Millicent gave her the opportunity to become involved in the local community through her interest in music. Michelle has returned to the South East and now is a GP at Hawkins Medical Clinic in Mount Gambier, as well as a Director of Clinical Training in the Junior Doctor Program.