Politics & Public Policy
Craig Matheson was awarded a PhD in Government from the University of Queensland in 1984. He was a lecturer in sociology at Charles Sturt University from 1988 to 2001. He then lectured in management at the University of Wollongong from 2001 to 2003. Since 2003 he has worked at Flinders University. His research interests include Australian government and public administration, work and organizations, social class, cultural theory and social change. He has published thirteen refereed articles in various journals including the British Journal of Sociology, Public Administration Review, Administration and Society and the Australian Journal of Political Science. He has taught in thirty four subjects and coordinated twenty subjects in politics, sociology, management and public policy.
Bachelor of Arts degree with first class honours in Government, University of Queensland, 1980.
PhD in Government, University of Queensland, 1984.
Honours, awards and grants
- Awarded Commonwealth Postgraduate Research Award in January, 1980.
- Awarded Queensland Prize in Public Administration, 1978
- Winner of Faculty Teaching Award Flinders University 2006
- Director of Studies for the Graduate Program in Public Administration
- Member of Education Committee
- Coordinator of the following topics: Organisational Politics, Culture and Management; Ethics and Public Administration; Culture and Public Policy
- Additional teaching in the following topics: Public Policy; Australian Government and Public Policy; Advanced Perspectives on Public Policy.
- POAD9121 Culture and Public Policy
- POAD9123 Ethics and Public Administration
- POAD9125 Organisational Politics, Culture and Management
- Policy and administration
Australian government and public administration, work and organisations, social class, cultural theory, social change.
- Political culture
- Public policy and administration
- Work and organisations
RHD research supervision
: Ethics in the South Australian Public Sector; NGOS in the Philippines
: E-government in Bangladesh; Subnational Government Borrowing in Indonesia
- Matheson, C.G. (2014). The Ten Spheres of Social Life. In Brad West, ed. Challenging Identities, Institutions and Communities, Refereed Proceedings of the TASA 2014. Adelaide: The Australian Sociological Association. The Australian Sociological Association Conference 2014. University of South Australia. Nov 2014, pp. 1-7.
- Matheson, C.G. (2007). Understanding the Policy Process: an Organizational Perspective. In Public Policy Network Conference Flinders University 2007. Bedford Park, SA: FIPPM. Public Policy Network Summer Conference 2007. Adelaide, SA. Feb 2007.
- Matheson, C.G. (2012). The Motivation of Public Sector Employees: An Outline of Six Orientations to Work. Administration and Society, 44(2) pp. 207-237.
- Matheson, C.G. (2009). Understanding the policy process: the work of Henry Mintzberg. Public Administration Review, 69(6) pp. 1148-1161.
- Matheson, C.G. (2007). Are clerical workers proletarian? A case study of the Australian Public Service. British Journal of Sociology, 58(4) pp. 577-602.
- Matheson, C.G. (2007). In Praise of Bureaucracy? A Dissent From Australia. Administration and Society, 39(2) pp. 233-261.
Professional and community engagement
Member of the Australian Sociological Association 1993-2001.
Past member of the British Sociological Association and Institute of Public Administration Australia.
Member of Political Studies Association. Attended ten conferences held in Australia and overseas since 1988.
Guest speaker at conference aimed at improving professional development of public servants. Invited contributor to panel on cultural theory at PSA Conference Manchester 2014.
Reviewer for the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Sociology/Journal of Sociology, the Australian Journal of Political Science and the Australian Journal of Public Administration, Reviewer of book proposal for UNSW press, President of Riverina Campus Staff Club at CSU 1998 to 2000, PhD Thesis Examiner Charles Darwin University 2004.