Academic Status & Web Supervisor
College of Medicine and Public Health
Professor Doug McEvoy is a Practitioner Fellow of the National Health and Medical Research Council, Senior Director of the Adelaide Institute for Sleep Health, Staff Consultant in Sleep and Respiratory Medicine at the Repatriation General Hospital and Flinders Medical Centre, Senior Principal Research Fellow within the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute Heart Health Theme, Board Member of the Sleep Health Foundation and is a past president of the Australasian Sleep Association. He has had a distinguished career in sleep medicine over the past 30 years. He has led a number of important multi-centre clinical trials in sleep medicine and is presently the Principal Investigator of the international Sleep Apnoea Cardiovascular Endpoints study.
B Med Sc, MBBS, FRACP, MD
Prof McEvoy has been at the forefront of sleep research nationally and internationally for 25 years. Since 2010 he has been awarded over $16M in Research Funding.
Honours, Achievements and Awards:
• Australasian Sleep Association Distinguished Achievement Award 2011
• Founder, and Co-Chair 2010-14 with Prof Susan Redline, Harvard University, of INCOSACT (International Collaboration of Sleep Apnea
• Elected to Board of Sleep Health Foundation
• 17 invitations since 2010 to international meetings as keynote, plenary speaker or chair
• 43 original articles, reviews, book chapters since 2010, including in leading general medical journals such as JAMA(2), leading specialty journals such as SLEEP(8) and THORAX(2)
• Senior Director, Adelaide Institute for Sleep Health, Department of Respiratory and Sleep Services, Southern Adelaide Local Health Network
• Professor, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Flinders University
• Clinical Professor, Discipline of Physiology, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Adelaide
• Senior Principal Research Fellow,South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute
His research interests range from respiratory/sleep physiology to trials of new diagnostic, treatment and management methods for sleep apnoea, to sleep deprivation/alcohol interactions and effects on driving. He is Principal Investigator of the international, multi-centre, randomised controlled Sleep Apnoea cardioVascular Endpoints (SAVE) trial which is designed to determine whether continuous positive airway pressure treatment of sleep apnoea can reduce the incidence of cardiovascular events. He is an NHMRC Practitioner Fellow, A Theme Leader of the CRC on Alertness Safety and Productivity and is CI on 6 NHMRC funded projects.
: Sleep apnoea
: Shift work and sleep disorders
; Obstructive sleep apnea/ insomnia
; Obstructive sleep apnea
: Obstructive sleep apnea
; Chronic ventilatry failure
: Respiratory failure
|Phone:||+61 8 72218319|
|Location:||Repatriation General Hospital (RGH C-Block)|
|Postal address:||216 Daws Road, Daw Park SA 5041|
Further details on current projects and PhD scholarship opportunities are available via the Research and Volunteering page of the Adelaide Institute for Sleep Health website. Current scholarships alre also available via a broad program of research currently being undertaken as part of the Commonwealth Research Centre (CRC) for Alertness Safety and Productivity outlined in the following attachment.