1. Title of the Award - Vice-Chancellor's Awards for Excellence in Teaching
2. Nature of the Awards
2.1 Up to five awards will be made each year. These awards will be made to teams of staff (headed by an academic) and/or to individual academic staff.
2.2 Each winner of an award (either team or individual) will be presented with a Certificate of Excellence in Teaching. Award winners will receive a prize of $5,000 payable into a university account subject to the same rules as a consulting account (i.e. requiring ‘use for University purposes’). Possible uses may include conference attendance, purchase of resources to assist in preparation and delivery of teaching and learning materials, or purchase of books, journals etc.
2.3 Recipients are recognised as leaders in their field and are strongly encouraged to engage with the Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching. They will receive support and encouragement to apply for national awards.
3. Purposes of the Awards
The purposes of the awards are to:
- recognise and reward teaching excellence;
- encourage teaching excellence through this recognition;
- promote to both the Flinders and outside community that this university is proud of its academic staff and that they perform at national and international standards.
4. Eligibility for the Awards
4.1 Individual applicants
Individual awards will be awarded to members of staff judged to be outstanding teachers.
Eligibility for individual awards encompasses:
- all academic staff (continuing, contract, sessional and academic status) with at least five years of sustained teaching experience with the University.
Where possible, one of the individual awards may be made to an early career academic with fewer than seven years experience teaching in a higher education setting. [This should be interpreted as seven calendar years and includes all tutoring, part-time teaching, and teaching at other higher education institutions].
4.2 Team applicants
Team awards will be awarded to teams of staff responsible for teaching and learning and/or student support judged to be outstanding.
Eligibility for team awards:
- Teams will comprise academic staff (as defined in 4.1) and/or professional staff, who have held roles in teaching and learning and/or student support. At least one team member will have five years or more of substantial teaching experience with the University.
4.3 Award winners will not be eligible for re-nomination within the same category for 5 years.
5. The Selection Committee
The Selection Committee for the awards will consist of the following members:
- Vice-Chancellor or nominee (Chair)
- One member nominated by each of the Faculty Executive Deans (to serve for a two-year term of office and to be eligible for reappointment)
- One external member with expertise in teaching and learning, nominated by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) on behalf of the Vice-Chancellor (to serve for a two-year term and to be eligible for reappointment)
- Student member nominated by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) on behalf of the Vice-Chancellor (to serve for a one-year term and to be eligible for reappointment)
- A previous award winner, nominated by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) on behalf of the Vice-Chancellor (to serve for a one-year term and to be eligible for reappointment).
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), on behalf of the Vice-Chancellor and Selection Committee, will call for and receive nominations; the Selection Committee will examine the nominations and supporting information and make recommendations to the Vice-Chancellor in relation to the recipients of the awards.
Academic Senate will be informed of the recipients of the awards.
6. Notification of the Awards
Notification of the results of the Committee's deliberations will be made after they have been approved by the Vice-Chancellor. Certificates will be presented at an appropriate ceremony.
The awards have been divided into two streams: one for individuals, the other for teams. The selection criteria upon which each category will be judged, however, are the same.