Your Supervisor

Your letter of offer will identify who has been appointed as your supervisor.  Your supervisor is responsible for ensuring you receive the information and support which you require to be able to perform your role effectively, so you should meet with her/him as early as possible.

Flinders Authentication Name (FAN)

Your Flinders Authentication Name (FAN) is the key to accessing your computer and services at the University. If you have provided your employment paperwork to People and Culture prior to your commencement date, your supervisor should be able to obtain your FAN from People and Culture.

You need to activate your FAN here and create a compliant password before being able to access your computer. You will receive an SMS message with your payroll number and instructions for activation at 9am on the morning of your employment commencement.

Single Sign On

Okta single sign on connects you to your applications quickly, in a safe and easy way. You sign in to your dashboard from a browser, and immediately gain access to the applications that have been designated for Single Sign On. You can access your personalised dashboard from the Flinders home page via 'Quick Links' at the top right of the page.

Emergency Procedures

Please familiarise yourself as soon as possible with the University's emergency warning signals and evacuation procedures specific to your building.  You can find information about exits and evacuation points on maps displayed in each building. You can listen to the alert signals here.

Building Wardens have authority to direct all staff, students and visitors during an emergency situation or incident control exercise. Make yourself familiar with your local Building Wardens and follow their directions during these events. If you have a disability of any kind, please advise your Chief Fire Warden of this as soon as possible. Your Chief Fire Warden will need to establish an individual emergency plan relevant to the building(s) in which you are working.

Please print and keep in your office a copy of the Emergency procedures, which outlines what to do in various emergency situations. Flinders University also has specific procedures in the event of a bushfire or earthquake

Employee counselling (EAP) is available for staff who experience traumatic events at work.

You need to attend an Orientation workshop which covers Security, Work Health & Safety, and Equal Opportunity requirements of the University. Book yourself into the next available course which suits your work schedule.

Safety and Security

At Bedford Park campus, Security staff are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can be contacted on ext. 12880 or email  Refer to Personal safety and security on campus for further information. 

If you are located at another campus, discuss the safety and security arrangements and requirements with your supervisor.

First Aid

Please make yourself familiar with your local First Aid trained staff. Click here to find out what to do in the event of an accident/injury/incident (including a link to the FlinSafe online reporting system).  

At Bedford Park campus, all Security staff have been trained in First Aid. Medical help is also available from Flinders Health Service.

Work Health and Safety

The University is committed to the proper management of work health, safety and welfare and aims to provide a safe and healthy workplace for its staff, students, contractors and visitors by having a planned and systematic approach to the management of work health, safety and injury management. 

The Work health, safety and injury management page displays important information and policies you should familiarise yourself with. Some of these include the Work Health and Safety Policy, children on campus, smoking, drugs and alcohol on campus, working in hot conditions, electrical safety, manual handling, event safety, dealing with snakes, wasps and bees and avoiding slips, trips and falls as well as other health and well-being links. 

Your supervisor will go through the WH&S induction checklist with you on your first day, and explain any local area hazards to you. Both you and your supervisor need to sign this form and your supervisor will keep the form on file.

For more information, visit the WH&S contacts page.  You can also find out about WH&S training and your local Health & safety representatives.

If you are a supervisor, you need to complete the online course 'Work health and safety program for supervisors ' which is available through FLO (Flinders Learning Online).

Equal Opportunity and Sexual Harassment, Harassment, Discrimination and Bullying

The University is committed to achieving equal opportunity in education and employment and to a work and study environment free of unlawful discrimination, harassment or bullying.  Behaviour which makes you feel intimidated, humiliated or offended is contrary to this commitment. The Equal Opportunities policies page lists important information and policies you should familiarise yourself with.

Find out more at the Harassed? page or contact an Equal Opportunity Contact Officer

You will need to complete the online course 'EO Online - Module 1 ' as part of your induction program. If you are a supervisor, you will also need to complete 'EO Online - Module 2 '.

The CDIP Toolkit provides excellent resources designed to promote mutually respectful relationships and inclusive practices. You may also like to visit information about Sexual and gender diversity or New parent support structures.

Work Patterns

For academic staff, the Academic staff absences page provides information on workload management and absences. It is recognised that the nature of academic work allows some flexibility as to the location where the work is carried out. Academic staff are, nevertheless, expected to be available at their designated workplace for reasonable periods of time. When academic staff are not on campus, but on duty, they must be contactable. There is more information available on the Policies and procedures page.

For professional staff, the Flexible working hours procedures page outlines information regarding hours of duty, on-call, overtime and breaks. Flexi-time allows professional staff to adjust their working hours to manage their work/life balance. 

Timesheets - Professional Staff only

All professional staff up to and including HEO7 classification are required to record the time they work each day. Most professional staff will use an electronic timesheet to record their hours. Speak with your supervisor to find out their expectations for local time-keeping arrangements.

Getting Paid and Salary Packaging

If you returned your employment paperwork ahead of your start date, you should have a payroll number by the time you commence. Your payroll number is used to register your details on the Human Resources Payroll System and to process your pay. 

Payslips are available online via the secure Employee Self Service website. Login and click on the ‘Payroll Details' link on the left-hand side. You can find more information on the Employee Self Service user guide.

The People and Culture payroll and benefits page has information about pay dates, salary scales. People and Culture Forms are available through the Staff services directory. Remuneration and benefits information can be found on the Policies and Procedures page.

Various items can be salary packaged. For information on Salary Packaging, phone ext. 13888.

You will also need to attend an Employment Conditions Information session run by People and Culture Client Services.  You will be contacted in the first few weeks of your employment with an invitation to a session for Professional Staff or Academic Staff.


The Staff benefits and leave entitlements page offers an overview of what is available to staff, and the Leave and absences policies and procedures provides policies and further detail.

Discuss your requirements with your supervisor before booking your leave online using the online Employee Self Service. Login using your FAN and password, and click on the ‘Leave' link on the left-hand side. 

Staff Card

You will need a staff card for purposes of identification, after-hours access to your building, and also to borrow resources from the Central Library, Bedford Park campus. New staff can collect their staff ID card at Flinders Connect, Level 0, Central Library Building, 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday (please allow 15 minutes for processing).  Staff need to present current proof of identification and a letter of introduction from their school or division before a card can be issued. If you are located outside the Adelaide metropolitan area, discuss staff card requirements with your supervisor.

Accessing Your Building

University buildings are locked after normal business hours, on weekends and on public holidays. Click here for information about how you can gain access to your building after hours by using your staff card.  

Parking and Driving at Bedford Park Campus

Use the Campus map to locate carparks at Bedford Park campus. All vehicles parked in these carparks, unless in a loading zone, must display a valid University parking permit or ticket between the hours of 6:00am and 6:00pm. University Rules and By-Laws relating to parking apply 24 hours a day, all year round, and an offence against a By-Law relating to traffic or parking may result in a parking fine.  In general, parking is not permitted on roadways or in any place other than a marked parking space. 

The Parking on campus site provides more information about parking and obtaining a permit, including:

  • Disabled parking permit
  • Pregnant staff permit
  • VIP permit

Parking permits are purchased online.  If you are parking at Bedford Park campus regularly, the semester or full year permit will be the most cost-effective option and may be salary sacrificed.

If you work at another campus, please check your local parking rules and regulations - your supervisor can point you in the right direction.

And remember to always lock your car doors and windows and do not leave any valuables in your vehicle. 

The Location and getting to campus page contains additional information you may find useful.

Travelling to and Around Bedford Park Campus

Refer to the Location and getting to campus page for information about the free University Loop Bus, Tonsley Bus, car pooling, public transport, cycling and walking options for the Bedford Park campus.

For other campuses, speak with your supervisor for local information.

Retail Services and Refreshments at Bedford Park Campus

The retail outlets page outlines facilities available at Bedford Park campus. These include ATMs, a post office, stationery shop, pharmacy, bookshop and a travel agent. 

There are various food and drink options at Bedford Park campus - everything from coffee and light refreshments to pub or cafe style meals. Vending machines and kitchenette areas are also located around the campus.

Setting Up Your Workstation, Phone and Computer


The ergonomic set-up of a workstation page outlines the most comfortable and safe way to set up your workstation furniture. The Work Health and Safety Unit is able to offer assistance with an ergonomic assessment of workplaces. Should you have any difficulties please contact the WHS Unit.

As an equal opportunity employer, the University has a policy to make reasonable adjustments to meet the needs of staff members with a disability. If you have a special requirement, you should advise your supervisor. For more information, refer to the Disability Action Plan.

Computer and Internet

Please read the IT acceptable use policy which highlights the behaviours expected of all staff members regarding the use of computer hardware, software, data and voice communication systems. All staff also need to complete mandatory Information security awareness training.

You will have access to a computer, phone and appropriate software related to your job role.

Your email address is in the format (for example, ). You will need to create your email signature by following the Email signature guidelines.

Refer to the IDS Customer Service Centre for information about computer and phone support.

Computer skills training is available for a wide range of software systems used throughout the University. Discuss your computer training needs with your supervisor.

For more information, refer to the Information and Digital Services (IDS) page.


The IDS phones page explains how to make internal and outgoing calls, as well as information about Teleconference calls, Call Pick-up groups, Follow-Me and Delayed Diversion, and the Call-Back feature. The costs of all outgoing calls are charged to your Faculty, School or Division.

You will need to set up your Voicemail using these guidelines.

For telephone support, contact the IDS Customer Service Centre. Additional information can be found on the IDS communication tools page.