Performs assays for characterising the properties of particles - usually cells. Functional assays include measurement of Calcium flux, apoptosis and phenotype based on cell membrane or cytoplasmic antigen expression. Flow cytometry can also be used for DNA analysis and cell cycle analysis. There is an extensive range of assays available. The Flow Cytometry Facility is equipped with state of the art flow cytometers used for:
- Cell identification and analysis
- Cell sorting
- Cell function examination
- Measurement of cellular membrane electric potential
- DNA analysis
- Diagnosis of diseases such as Leukemia and Lymphoma
- Imaging flow cytometry - combines the quantitative power of flow cytometry and physical information associated with microscopy
The Facility is based at FMC and is shared with SA Pathology for diagnostic and research purposes. A/Prof Cindy Macardle heads the facility. Ms Jennifer Washington manages the FU facility and offers flow cytometry training, assistance and advice to staff and students with regards to cell culture and cytometry for their research projects. Ms Sheree Bailey is the SA Pathology Flow Cytometry section supervisor and oversees both FU and SA Pathology activities.
- The BD Accuri™C6 is a valuable flow cytometry tool for both novice and experienced researchers. The system features an intuitive software interface and software templates that guide users new to flow cytometry through workflows for popular applications. The BD Accuri™ C6 has 2 lasers (red & blue) and 2 light scatter detectors and offers 4 fluorescence detectors (FL1 – 530/30, FL2 – 585/40, FL3 – 670/LP, FL4 – 675/25)
- BD FACS Canto II is equipped with a Red 633nm, Blue 488nm and Violet 405nm laser and is capable of eight parameter analysis comprising two physical parameters (FSC and SSC) and six fluorescent parameters.
- BD FACS Aria, equipped with a 488nm, 633nm and 405nm laser. This machine is a high-speed cell sorter capable of sorting at up to 25,000 cells per second. Its fluorescent capability is up 9 fluorescent parameters and two physical parameters.
- The AMNIS ImageStreamX Mark II is a multispectral imaging flow cytometer capable of imaging more than 1000 cells/sec and is equipped with 405, 488, 561, 658, 785 nm lasers and works with sample volumes 20-200µl. The IDEAS image analysis software processes over 300 features that are calculated based on fluorescence intensity and morphology of the cells. This novel approach enables the combined quantitative power of flow cytometry and physical information associated with microscopy. The ImageStreamX Mark II is a high end versatile instrument that has additional excitation lasers, 20x, 40x and 60x magnification and a unique extended depth of field option that allows for quantitative FISH spot counting.