NILS has an energetic community of postgraduate students, all of whom make a valuable contribution to NILS’ profile and achievements.
Since 2003 we have been developing our postgraduate culture to ensure that we provide the best possible environment for students to conduct their research and receive research training. In addition to working on their own research, students often have the chance to work on NILS projects. This provides students with exposure to a range of research approaches, experience in working in research teams and opportunities to further develop their research skills.
Our PhD students come from a range of disciplinary backgrounds. We have students from economics, sociology, human resources, management, education and industrial relations. In addition, they come from a range of cultural backgrounds – Australia, China, West Papua, and Malaysia. This diversity gives NILS added breadth in its research capacity and enhances our multidisciplinary strengths.
PhD students at NILS have received financial support from a range of areas:
- Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA)
- Flinders University Research Scholarships
- APA (Industry) – ARC linkage grants that NILS has successfully negotiated with industry partners
- AusAid Australian Development Scholarships
- Scholarships gained through home country programs