Flinders University, School of International Studies :ARC Linkage PhD Scholarship - Creating and sustaining a strong future for volunteering in Australia
Opening Date: 20-11-2014
Closing Date: 12-01-2015
The School of International Studies at Flinders University is offering a three-year PhD scholarship for full-time research on an Australian Research Council (ARC) funded research project entitled ‘Creating and sustaining a strong future for volunteering in Australia’.
This exciting project has Chief Investigators at Flinders University, Curtin University, Victoria University, and Macquarie University as well as partners from Erasmus University, Rotterdam, Volunteering Victoria, Volunteering SA/NT, Volunteering Western Australia and the WA Department of Local Government and Communities.
The project seeks to answer the question of how to increase social participation by converting non-volunteers to the benefits of volunteering. In Australia today, communities and governments are increasingly dependent on volunteers to build social capital and deliver an increasing range of services. A world first, this project aims to create new theory by examining three levels of analysis: the micro level of the individual volunteer or non-volunteer; the mezzo level of the volunteer-involving organization; and the macro level of society.
The successful applicant will undertake their research within the School of International Studies at Flinders University, Adelaide, SA. (http://www.flinders.edu.au/sabs/sis/). The student would be supervised by Professor Melanie Oppenheimer - a leading researcher in the field.
The scholarship is open to students wishing to commence a PhD in 2015, and is valued at the APA rate of $25,500 per annum (tax free). The scholarship will be awarded for a maximum of three years.
To be eligible for the award of this scholarship a student must:
• Be an Australian citizen, or a NZ citizen or an Australian permanent resident at the closing date of applications; &
• Have completed a Bachelor degree with Second Class (Division A) Honours or above, or an equivalent level of academic attainment; &
• Intend to enroll as a full-time student
Other general conditions of the award will be as per current conditions of award for Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) Scholarships.
All applicants are advised to contact Professor Melanie Oppenheimer Melanie.email@example.com or by phone on +61 8 8201 2322 or project Lead Investigator A/P Kirsten Holmes firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting an application form.
To apply for the scholarship, you may use the attached form below.
Those wishing to apply should in the first instance complete a candidature and scholarships application form available below, including information on research experience.
Candidates with qualifications in social sciences or a related area are encouraged to apply.
- Download the conditions of award for this scholarship scheme. This document is provided as an Adobe Acrobat portable document format (pdf) file. You will need to install the Adobe Acrobat reader on your computer to view pdf files. The Adobe Acrobat Reader is available free of charge from Adobe's website. Adobe provides tools for converting pdf files to HTML and ASCII text for users with vision impairments at its access.adobe.com website. If you require this document in other formats (plain text, ASCII), please contact the Student Finance Services.
- Download the application form for this scholarship scheme.
- Download Referee Report