Engineering Work Experience GE
Recommendations in relation to ENGR9403 Engineering Work Experience GE
Case 1: Application for exemption
Prior to enrolling in ENGR9403 Engineering Work Experience GE the student applying for exemption must prove that he/she has already passed an undergraduate topic related to an engineering placement or work experience placement. This must be have been for a minimum duration of 12 weeks and the student must present an official Academic Transcript with all relevant supporting documentation proving the duration of his/her work experience/placement.
- In the case of a completed Australian undergraduate degree - the citing of the official Academic Transcript/Documentation and submission of the application form should proceed through the Science and Engineering Faculty Office.
- In the case of a completed overseas undergraduate degree - the citing of the official Academic Transcript/Documentation and submission of the application form should also proceed through the Science and Engineering Faculty office. This application must also include confirmation that all eight required topic learning outcomes have been achieved (using the STAR method as referenced below).
- In both cases the ENGR9403 Topic Coordinator for Practicum Topics will officially assess the application as required.
It is essential that the student shall present an official Academic Transcript and written confirmation that their undergraduate degree has incorporated such work experience/placement. Topic enrolment will not be possible until these criteria have been met except in extenuating circumstances as individually determined.
Course-Rule Information for Masters Degrees
Case 2: Approved enrolment
If an exemption does not exist (as per Case 1 above) the student will be required to enrol in ENGR9403 Engineering Work Experience GE. Prior to enrolling in ENGR9403 the following criteria should be confirmed:
- The student has successfully completed 31.5 units of their current degree
- The student has successfully completed 18 units of Semester 1 topics and is currently enrolled in at least 18 units of a Semester 2 load, with anticipation that successful completion of at least 13.5 units of this will occur.
The student is not advised to enrol in ENGR9403 if he/she is enrolled in a final year project as the Engineering Work Experience GE placement is a minimum 12 week program (which cannot be simultaneously completed). However, this may be completed in non-semester time or at an alternative pre-arranged time.
Expected outcomes of ENGR9403 Engineering Work Experience GE
The student must complete a written report to satisfy the requirements for ENGR9403. This report needs to demonstrate that the student has met the eight expected learning outcomes using the STAR method of analysis.
This means that the student will need to address:
S - The Situation that arose
T - The Task that was required to undertake in that situation
A - The Action performed to complete the task
R - The Result of the action
The Learning Outcomes for ENGR9403 Engineering Work Experience GE are listed below and should form the framework for the report:
At the completion of this topic, students are expected to be able to:
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the structure, operation and responsibilities, and business culture of a company or organization
- Contribute to technical projects as an individual or team member
- Contribute to the management of team processes as appropriate
- Critically describe the influences of commercial, economic, social, cultural, political, legal, industrial and environmental issues affecting companies, organizations and employees that undertake engineering work
- Synthesize and apply skills and knowledge already acquired in their course
- Evaluate the responsibilities, roles, attitudes, values, priorities, judgement and work methods of practising professional engineers in industry
- Appreciate the overall manner in which engineering is practised and managed and the role of the team in engineering
- Participate as a member of an engineering team, understanding the roles and valuing all members of that team
Contacts for ENGR9403 Engineering Work Experience GE
- WIL Placement Administrator
- 8201 2297 email@example.com
- Directors of Study
- Master of Engineering (Biomedical)
Dr Sherry Randhawa firstname.lastname@example.org
- Master of Engineering (Civil)
Dr Rocco Zito email@example.com
- Master of Engineering (Electronics)
Dr Nasser Asgari firstname.lastname@example.org
- Master of Engineering (Materials)
A/Prof John Costi email@example.com
- Master of Engineering (Biomedical)