Phone: (+61 8) 820 12127
Dr Duncan Rayner
Faculty General Manager
Phone: (+61 8) 820 13694
Physical Sciences Building (Bldg 54)
Flinders University - see campus map
Technical Services Unit
Faculty of Science & Engineering
GPO Box 2100
Adelaide SA 5001
1. The TSU is not obliged to accept every piece of work that is requested. Acceptance of work will depend on availability of technical staff and equipment required. The TSU Supervisor will provide advice and a determination of whether a job can be undertaken.
2. Once the specifications and cost for some work are agreed, any subsequent changes will incur additional charges. Changes to a job will only be accepted if they are registered on the TSU Booking System. Changes to work cannot be accommodated through informal discussions.
3. Where work requested is complex or is expected to take a long time, it may be necessary to revise the initial quote which is given. In this case, it will be made clear to the user that the initial quote is only an estimate and that, in consultation with the user, periodic reviews of charges may be required.
4. In the event of any misunderstanding over pricing and work arrangements, the TSU Booking System will serve as the primary means to provide correspondence or other information about the specifications, pricing and progress of a job.
5. The TSU technical staff will produce work to the highest possible standard within the specifications agreed. TSU cannot be held responsible if any items fail to function when attached to any larger piece of equipment.
6. If items produced by the TSU malfunction within a 3 month period, the TSU will investigate the cause of the malfunction and provide all necessary remedies if the original work is shown to be defective. However, if malfunctions have occurred through accidents or non-standard usage, for example a component has been dropped or operated in excessive temperatures, TSU will not be responsible for any remedies.
7. Users cannot request particular technicians to undertake the work they have submitted. The TSU Supervisor is responsible for making all work allocations.
8. Users of the TSU facilities should not freely walk into the workshop area to talk to workshop staff. If users are invited into the facility, they must comply with OHS protocols at all time (for example wearing safety glasses, covered shoes, and stay within the marked walkways). Entry must be via the corridor in the Physical Sciences building (not through the back door or store). Users should inform the TSU Supervisor if they need access to the workshop area.