Water & Environment Research Hub
The Flinders University Water and Environment Research Hub undertakes research that facilitates comprehensive and integrated solutions to water and environmental problems.
We work with government, non government organisations and industry partners to address environmental issues including those relating to terrestrial, freshwater, marine and coastal resources throughout Australia and internationally.
The Research Hub facilitates a multidisciplinary approach to research by marrying biophysical and social sciences, and the humanities. The research that results, assists water and other environmental management practitioners, policy makers and aligned professionals to address complex problems through the development of integrated solutions.
The Water and Environment Research Hub brings together researchers from a wide range of disciplines across the University, representing four Faculties and numerous Schools.
We work with partners from the point of problem definition, through to research design and implementation. We also translate research outcomes, focusing on partner needs to enable direct application of new knowledge into environmental management and/or policy change. Research investment is directed towards research targeted, tangible outcomes.
Our ability to bring together expertise from across the University to form interdisciplinary collaborations enables cross fertilisation of knowledge and ideas. This facilitates the creation of new perspectives to address the changing needs of the environment and those who make management decisions about environmental stressors and enablers.
Our research covers issues in urban, regional and rural and remote areas.
- Allocating water and maintaining springs in the Great Artesian Basin
- City of Adelaide urban heat island micro-climate study
- Development of an optimal population and resource allocation model for the city of Onkaparinga (Phase 1, Sense of place)
- Identifying and assessing natural assets and ecosystem services in the city of Onkaparinga, South Australia
- Optimal water resources mix for metropolitan Adelaide (Goyder Institute)