Clinical placements

In accordance with the University’s Work-Integrated Learning Policy, many health sciences courses offer Work-Integrated Learning placements which provide practical experience for students and must meet relevant educational and health and safety requirements. They must also uphold the reputation of the University and the host organisations.

To make the most of your placement experience, you need to be prepared. It is important that you take responsibility and engage with the processes involved in both preparing for and undertaking your placement.

This page provides a generic snapshot about clinical placement preparation. You will be provided with all details regarding your compliance paperwork requirements for your chosen course in good time to be completed to meet all placement requirements.


Current students

Current students enrolled in placement topics should refer to all placement requirements provided by your course coordinator as these will be specifically tailored for you.

Contact the placement coordinator for your course/discipline for further information.


Future students

There are two main areas of compliance paperwork that are generally required in the School of Health Sciences:

  • Criminal history screening
  • Immunisations

This table is a guide and can be subject to change.

Course / Discipline
Criminal history screening Immunisations
Applied Gerontology Not applicable
Audiology Y Y
Disability & Community Inclusion Y N
Nutrition & Dietetics Y Y
Occupational Therapy Y Y
Optometry Y Y
Palliative Care Not applicable
Physiotherapy Y Y
Public Health Not applicable
Rehabilitation & Aged Care Y Y
Social Health Science Y N
Speech Pathology Y Y


Criminal history screenings

As a general guideline, if a screening is required, you will need to complete it through the Department for Community and Social Inclusion (DCSI) Screening Unit. This will be a Child Related Employment, Vulnerable Persons and Aged Care screening. Some courses will also require Disability Services screening. Other screening requests can include a National Police Certificate (NPC).

Some interstate clearances will also be required for students on any placement interstate. International students will be required to bring a criminal history screening from their home country in English or with a certified translation.

For more information, refer to the Criminal History Screening & Working With Children Checks (PDF 1MB) .



If attending placements, the School of Health Sciences requires an immunisation schedule that complies with SA Health requirements. For an indication of what this consists of, refer to:


Other areas of compliance

These can include, but are not limited to:


Your health & welfare

Before placement

If you have an existing illness or disability that could impact your ability to successfully undertake a clinical placement, you must advise your topic coordinator before starting your placement.

More information: Contact a University Disability Advisor to discuss an access plan.

If you do not declare a pre-existing illness or impairment that could either place the public at substantial risk of harm, or impact your ability to complete the requirements of your placement, you will be withdrawn from placement.

More information: Withdrawal of student from placement and Section 143 of the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (SA) Act 2010.


During or after placement
Clinical placements can be emotionally taxing for students. If you require assistance, Flinders offer an independent counselling service and an on-campus health service .


Work health & safety

You must participate in relevant training before starting a placement, which may include:

  • Specific training provided by your discipline.
  • Basic WHS training provided through the University’s online placement software.

Host organisations are responsible to ensure their workplace is safe for students on placement.

During placements, you must comply with any reasonable safety instructions, rules or procedures of the host organisation (e.g. wearing personal protective equipment).


Induction checklist

The Student Placement WHS Induction Checklist (PDF 107KB) must be completed at the start of each placement by either your placement supervisor, or by another appropriate member of staff.

Keep a copy of the completed checklist, with the original kept by your supervisor.

Injury, accidents or incidents

If you are injured or involved in an incident or accident while on placement you should report the event immediately. You are required to:

  • Immediately report the accident/ incident to the most appropriate person at the venue.
  • Seek appropriate first aid or medical advice if required.
  • Complete the venue's report form with the appropriate staff member.
  • Complete a University accident/incident report via the Flinsafe website. Provide a copy to your course coordinator.
  • You will need to discuss with Student Services about any medical treatment costs not covered by Medicare.