Distance Education Course in Palliative Care Nursing
PLEASE NOTE: The Distance Education Course in Palliative Care Nursing is undergoing a rewrite.
The course will re-commence in 2018 in an online format and full details will be available in early 2018.
The Distance Education Course in Palliative Care Nursing is designed to allow students to improve their knowledge, while studying at their own pace, in their own time.
This course has been designed for both Enrolled and Registered Nurses, whatever the clinical setting. The course is structured to meet the needs of those who do not want (or are not eligible) to study a postgraduate University course.
The course runs for 16 weeks, and requires up to 8 hours of study per week. It can be started at any time. Students are assigned a personal tutor with experience in palliative care education, who can assist with any problems or difficulties.
Registered Nurses without an undergraduate degree, who undertake and pass the Distance Course may progress onto the postgraduate Certificate in Palliative Care. Eligibility will be assessed by the following:
- Core skills in academic potential
- Critical analysis
- Skills in evidence-based practice
- Academic comprehension and written expression
- Introduction to Palliative Care
- Communication, Caring & Ethics
- Palliative Care for Patients with Cancer
- Palliative Care for Patients with a Non-Cancer Diagnosis
- Pain Management, Medical Emergencies & Metabolic Conditions
- Upper, Mid & Lower Gastrointestinal Problems
- Management of Respiratory Problems
- Nutrition & Hydration; Lymphoedema; Wound Management; Delirium
- Care in the Last Hours of Life
- Spirituality; Culture; Sexuality; Complementary Therapies
- Loss, Grief & Bereavement.
The cost of this course is $750.