Criminal history screening supports education organisations to establish safe learning environments in which adults do not present a threat to the health and well being of children. Criminal history checks establish the suitability of employees and volunteers to work with children and young people.
Criminal history checks are required for persons in prescribed positions or providing any of the following prescribed functions:
- regular contact with children or work in close proximity to children on a regular basis; or
- supervise or manage persons in positions requiring or involving regular contact with children or working in close proximity to children on a regular basis; or have access to records relating to children.
In addition, as a result of concerns to ensure the safety and welfare of students in schools, the three schooling sectors (DECS, Catholic Education and the Independent Schools Board) have advised that all University staff and students who undertake activities in the schools of those sectors must have cleared a criminal history check before they can undertake their planned activities/placements.
Instructions for staff and students who require a criminal history check can be downloaded below. If you have any problems following these instructions please contact the relevant School/contact person.
- Instructions for pre-service teachers in the School of Education.
- Instructions for students undertaking placements (PDF 84KB) within the School of Medicine.
- Instructions for Flinders Clinical Psychology postgraduate students (PDF 72KB) .
- Instructions for students undertaking the INSPIRE Peer Mentoring Program (PDF 478KB) .
School of Psychology students requiring a criminal check please contact the Course Coordinator for instructions.