No upcoming events
Please remember if you can't attend a course anymore please unenrol yourself or move to the waiting list so others can attend.
To be notified of upcoming events, you can add your name to the waiting list.
Introduction to Statistical Analysis
This lecture provides a refresher on the basics of undertaking quantitatively orientated research with a major focus on statistical analysis. Issues related to sampling, measurement as well as data collection and processing are highlighted. This is followed by a brief introduction to descriptive statistics. The major part of the lecture covers topics related to inferential statistics such as hypothesis testing, statistical significance, effect size and power analysis. Finally, advice regarding the selection of appropriate statistical methods for the most typical research questions is given.
This course is under great demand. If your circumstances change and you cannot attend, please cancel your enrolment as quickly as possible.
Type of course
Who should attend
Staff and Research Higher Degree Students
What you will learn
- A brief introduction to a framework of undertaking quantitatively orientated research
- Measures of central tendency and dispersion
- Standard errors and confidence intervals
- Introduction to hypothesis testing, including interpreting p-values
- Concepts of effect size and power
- How to select which statistical method is appropriate for typical research questions