The annual Vice-Chancellor's Awards for Excellence in Teaching recognise exceptional teaching practice by individuals and teams across the University.
The Vice-Chancellor's Awards for Excellence in Teaching serve to:
- recognise and reward teaching excellence;
- encourage teaching excellence through this recognition;
- ensure staff development activities; and
- promote to both the Flinders and outside community that we are proud of our academic staff and that they perform to national and international standards.
These awards are made to teams of staff (headed by an academic) and/or to individual academic staff.
Each winner (either individual or team) is presented with a Certificate and receives a prize of $5000 to be used to further enhance teaching excellence within the university.
Advice for Applicants
All nominees for the Vice-Chancellor's Awards for Excellence in Teaching will be assessed on the evidence they provide in relation to the following five criteria:
1. Approaches to teaching that influence, motivate and inspire students to learn.
2. Development of curricula and resources that reflect a command of the field.
3. Approaches to assessment and feedback that foster independent learning.
4. Respect and support for the development of students as individuals.
5. Scholarly activities that have influenced and enhanced learning and teaching.
a. extent to which the claims for excellence are supported by formal and informal evaluation;
b. extent of creativity, imagination or innovation, irrespective of whether the approach involves traditional learning environments or technology-based developments; and
c. information contained in Student Evaluation of Teaching (SET), references and selected teaching materials submitted by the nominee.
Supporting material may include printed material, online resources, audio, video or other media files. Applicants are advised to ensure the relevance of the supporting material is made clear in the written statement.
Successful applicants are formally notified and announced at the Flinders Celebration of Excellence and Innovation in Teaching.
Recipients of the Vice-Chancellor's Awards for Excellence in Teaching are expected to contribute to educational development within the University by communicating their skills to academic staff. The specific nature of that contribution is negotiated with each winner. Some applicants identified through the University's internal selection process will be asked to consider applying for national teaching awards.
Please note: Support and advice, including feedback on draft written statements, is available from the Centre for University Teaching (see right-hand side bar for details).