These webpages and the FLO First Year Support Strategies Portal are designed to support staff who work with students attending university for the first time at a first year level although
some of the material may also be useful for staff working with students who do
not fit this explicit category.
If you work with first year students and would like some support or are interested in investigating strategies for supporting them please contact Dr Ann Luzeckyj (Senior Lecturer in Higher Education: First Year Undergraduate Teaching Advisor)
Advice, support and resources for staff working with first year students is provided by the Senior Lecturer in Higher Education: First Year Undergraduate Teaching Advisor, who also:
- undertakes researchin relation to teaching and supporting first year students at Flinders University
- identifies and disseminates strategies to promote good teaching practicein relation to teaching first year students
- co-facilitates a First Year Community of Practice (FYCoP)
- explores and reports research and initiatives undertaken at other universities in relation to teaching first year students
There are a range of resources developed by researchers and initiatives that are implemented at universities across the globe to support staff who teach first year undergraduate students. The resources include materials for staff who wish to gain insight into:
- the experiences of first year university students from 1994 to 2014 and the changing social and academic experiences of first year students studying at Australian universities by reading The first year experience in Australian universities: Findings from 1994 - 2014
- ways to enhance student wellbeing or help students flourish as they learn a second language
- the National Centre for Student Equity in Higher Education which has a focus on closing the gap between equity policy, research and practice links to news and events, research resources and student equity data
- the mismatch between the expectations and experiences of first year undergraduate students
- the experience of students who are the first members of their family to attend university, there is also a blog covering research about these students hosted by the University of Wollongong
- teaching strategies that support students from low socio-economic backgrounds.
There is also a First Year in Higher Education(FYHE) virtual centre for researchers and practitioners, based in Australia and a National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition which is hosted by the University of North Carolina.
The Office of the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Students) provides staff and students at Flinders with access to a range of services, including:
- Flinders Connect
- Office of Indigenous Strategy and Engagement
- Student Administration
- Student Life
- Student Recruitment
For a full range of resources, information and support available to students, visit the Student pages of the website.
If you know of any resources or research to add to this site please contact the Senior Lecturer in Higher Education: First Year Undergraduate Teaching Advisor