There are a range of resources developed by researchers and initiatives that are implemented at universities across the globe to support staff who teach first year undergraduate students. The resources include materials for staff who wish to gain insight into:
- the mismatch between the expectations and experiences of first year undergraduate students
- the experience of students who are the first members of their family to attend university
- teaching strategies that support students from low socio-economic backgrounds
- the experiences of first year university students from 1994 to 2009 and the changing social and academic experiences of first year students studying at Australian universities by reading The first year experience in Australian universities: Findings from 1994 - 2009
- the National Centre for Student Equity in Higher Education which has a focus on closing the gap between equity policy, research and practice links to news and events, research resources and student equity data.
- the Office for Learning and Teaching Resource Library includes links to webpages, downloadable reports and other resources related to funded projects. It is possible to search the site and limit to resources specifically related to "First Year"
There is also a First Year in Higher Education (FYHE) virtual centre for researchers and practitioners, based in Australia and a National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition which is hosted by the University of North Carolina.
The Initiatives implemented at Australian universities include:
- Griffith University which outlines its approach to the first year experience and provides links to a range of resources that may be useful to their first year advisors, a role which is similar to Flinders University's Directors, First Year Studies roles
- The University of Technology, Sydney which outlines details of UTS’s First Year Experience project, including details of relevant staff, forums and grants.
- Queensland University of Technology website on The First Year Experience provides links to information on the first year experience, retention and outlines the Transition pedagogy.
- The University of Sydney - this site provides a wide range of link to resources and information for staff teaching first year students.