Effective supervision is a key element in the learning experience for research higher degree candidates.
The Postgraduate Research Supervision Program is compulsory for staff members new to supervising Postgraduate Research Degree Students at Flinders. It comprises two core workshops and the choice of two electives:
- Core: Workshop 1
- Core: Workshop 2
- Combined - Core 1 and 2: Workshop 1 & 2
- Elective: Supervising international students
- Elective: Supervising Indigenous postgraduates
- Elective: Successful models of supervision
- Elective: Helping doctoral students to plan their career
- Elective: Supporting your students to get published
- Elective: Providing usable feedback
- Elective: Value adding for your students
The program explores the complex environment in which supervision occurs, Flinders University policy and processes regarding research supervision and good practice when supervising students. Supervisors are required to provide intellectual support, procedural guidance and broader pastoral support. To ensure all of these aspects are met, the following practices for supervising RHD students are recommended within the program:
- Get to know your student.
- Gain a mutual understanding of each other’s roles and responsibilities.
- Plan and structure supervision sessions.
- Develop strategies to help students get started.
- Use available resources.
- Enable a scholarly research community.
- Provide effective feedback.
- Facilitate the writing process.
- Enable students to reach a conclusion.
- Review and evaluate your practice.
All exemptions from the mandatory programs will be determined on a case-by-case basis in accordance with the University's Mandatory Induction Guidelines.
Lunchtime Workshop Series
This workshop series is offered by the Office of Graduate Research for RHD supervisors. These one hour sessions provide an opportunity to learn about current RHD issues, impacts of legislation and policy and best practice approaches to supervision and RHD student administration. We are also pleased to announce that Supervisors who attend three of these one-hour workshops will meet their professional development requirement to retain their place on the Register of RHD Supervisors.
For details and enrolment into the Lunchtime Workshop Series, visit iEnrol.