The Centre for University Teaching (CUT) welcomes all sessional staff to Flinders University. We provide teaching development support for sessional staff through workshops, one-on-one and team meetings and through the provision of resources on our website.
There are two booklets (
) for sessional staff to get you started in your teaching role. In addition to this, the Centre also provides other resources and links to useful information from the vast literature and research on learning and teaching. More information about workshops for sessional staff and reimbursement for attending training workshops is found under the relevant links.
Sessional staff are encouraged to undertake training with CUT as part of their professional development commitments. There are two full-day training sessions offered which lay the foundations of teaching. You may choose training from the following list depending on the type of teaching you expect to be doing.
- Science & Engineering Demonstrator Training (for staff teaching in laboratory settings)
- Sessional Teaching: Introduction to Tutoring and Lecturing (for staff teaching in discussion settings such as tutorials and workshops).
In addition to the full-day training, you may wish to undertake additional training in the following specific topics. You may choose to attend all of the following sessions or you may want to attend those that are relevant to your teaching and tutoring needs.
- Sessional Teaching: Introduction to Assessment (3 hours)
- Sessional staff: Supporting the success of your First Year Students (3 hours)
- Facilitating discussions in class (3hours)
- Inclusive teaching practices (3 hours)
- Becoming a confident presenter (2hours)
As a staff member of the University, you are also eligible to attend other training events advertised on the Course Calendar.