The Topic Coordinator is responsible for managing and coordinating a topic (i.e. unit of study) within the context of the degree, the assessment in a topic, the students who enrol in the topic and, depending on the size and nature of the topic, sessional staff. The Topic Coordinator is also responsible for collaboratively building networks with Course Coordinators and fellow Topic Coordinators, setting the example in disciplinary practice, adopting scholarly teaching practices, developing and continually refining topics, maintaining topic quality and disciplinary integrity, and looking after the interests of students. (Adapted from S. Roberts (2010) Clarifying, Developing and Valuing the Role of Unit Coordinators as Informal Leaders of Learning in Higher Education. Australian Learning and Teaching Council)
Topic and Course Coordinators at Flinders are supported by a FLO site called Coordination Conversations which you can self-enrol into here. This FLO site:
- explains and discusses the roles and responsibilities of Topic Coordinators;
- provides resources for you;
- is your gateway for joining in Coordination Conversations sessions with other Topic Coordinators;
- houses recordings of Coordination Conversations lunch time sessions so that you can catch up on previous conversations;
- is a place where you can share resources that you have found helpful;
- provides a social network space for Course & Topic Coordinators.
As a collaborative space, this site will grow over time so we encourage you to visit regularly and to subscribe to the discussion forums to receive notices of new happenings.