The Graduate Diploma in Teaching English as a Second Language is a 36-unit program of study offered by the Faculty of Education, Humanities and Law. The course is designed to be completed in one year of full-time study, or the equivalent part-time study.
Applicants must normally hold an approved Bachelor degree from an approved tertiary institution. However, the Faculty Board may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
This course aims to:
- explore current theories in second language acquisition
- investigate classroom issues related to Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL)
- critique second language teaching methodologies
- comprehend the interaction between culture and language
- investigate the effect of English as a global language
- identify research trends in the field of TESOL.
On completion of this course students will be able to:
- analyse critically current theories in second language acquisition
- review and analyse classroom issues related to Teaching English as a Second Language
- demonstrate an understanding of second language teaching methodologies, including the ability to communicate them to a range of audiences
- implement second language teaching methodologies to generate approaches to a range of classroom teaching scenarios
- synthesise knowledge and skills in TESOL research.
Eligible students may be granted 18 units of credit for successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language.
To qualify for the Graduate Diploma in Teaching English as a Second Language a student must complete 36 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic, according to the following program of study:
Core - Year 1 topics
ESOL8001 Second Language Learning and Teaching (4.5 units)
ESOL8002 Second Language Testing (4.5 units)
ESOL8003 Introduction to English Linguistics (4.5 units)
ESOL9004 TESOL Methodology (4.5 units)
ESOL9005 ESOL Pedagogy (4.5 units)
ESOL9006 English as a Global Language (4.5 units)
ESOL9007 Directed Studies in TESOL (4.5 units)
LING7102 Cross-cultural Pragmatics and Intercultural Communication (4.5 units)