To be read in conjunction with the program of study requirements for the degree in which you are enrolled:
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) 1 Year
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) 4 Years
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Enhanced Program for High Achievers
The honours year in computer science has been designed to provide graduates with:
- reinforcement of the theoretical and the practical aspects of computer science
- a strong ability to critically analyse and evaluate information and solve problems
- the ability to work professionally as an individual, particularly in terms of a large research project
- insight into advanced areas of computer science
- an understanding of the need to undertake lifelong learning and the capacity to do so
- preparation for future professional roles as a computer scientist.
On completion of the program, students will be able to:
- competently use professional skills and knowledge in the systematic development of complex computer-based systems including the development of research-oriented systems
- demonstrate a broad understanding of the computer science discipline
- demonstrate an in-depth understanding of some areas of discipline specific knowledge
- apply their skills and knowledge in a professionally responsible manner
- communicate effectively with other computer scientists, researchers and the wider global community using a wide range of communication technologies
- work professionally as an individual
- develop computer-based solutions appropriate to the social, political, international, economic and environmental contexts in which they are applied
- engage in the process of continuing learning needed to retain the necessary level of professional skills and knowledge in the area of computer science.
- plan and execute a research project, applying relevant methodologies and knowledge
- have developed research skills appropriate to postgraduate research or advanced industrial investigation
Core - Honours Year topics
Plus 18 units of CSEM option topics**
*Students must undertake the Honours Thesis topics over a minimum of two semesters.
**CSEM option topics must be selected from Table A , at least half of which will be chosen from those labelled as Computer Science / Information Technology (Group C).