Flinders supports breastfeeding mums!
Flinders University supports women who wish to breastfeed their babies after they return to work or while they are studying. Women are welcome to breastfeed their babies wherever they feel comfortable on campus. In addition, facilities are available for staff and students who need a private space to breastfeed or to express milk.
What is available?
All facilities can be used by staff and students.
There are First Aid Rooms that have:
- Hand-basin and/or kitchen sink.
- Chair and table.
- Power point.
- Lockable door.
- The Medical School has a breastfeeding room with table and chair and power point and an ensuite bathroom.
The Health Service has private rooms available to staff and students, and nursing staff to assist if necessary.
Fridges are located in staff common rooms throughout the campus.
Students as well as staff are welcome to store clearly labelled breastmilk in these fridges and should talk to staff in the school office for assistance.
A staff member who is breastfeeding will be entitled to regular breaks in paid time for lactation purposes. Supervisors should provide reasonable flexibility for this purpose , and breastfeeding staff members should consider both organisational and personal needs when determining the timing of breaks.
Where do I go?
- Sturt Campus: West Wing Parenting Room; Room S219B. Ask for Key at the Social Health Sciences Office.
- Engineering Building: Ask for key at the Computer Science, Engineering and Mathematics School Office (2nd Floor of the IS&T Building)
- Health Service: Ask to speak to a nurse in the Health and Counselling Service, Student Centre.
- Medicine, Flinders Medical Centre: 'Mothers' Room', Room 4A 210, Ward 4C. Not locked.
- Central Library: Level 0, Room 008. Ask staff on Information Desk (X12131) to show you where the room is.
If you work on another site, please contact one of the people below, or email:- email@example.com
- Adelaide, victoria Square: Gisele.firstname.lastname@example.org 7221 8670
- Alice Springs: Tracey.Briscoe-Mitchell@flinders.edu.au 8951 4783
- Darwin: email@example.com 8946 7569
- Flinders Medical Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org 8204 3030
- Katherine: email@example.com 8971 2758
- Nhulunbuy: firstname.lastname@example.org 8987 3570
- Nuriootpa: email@example.com 8562 4736
- Renmark: firstname.lastname@example.org 8586 1000
- Repatriation General Hospital: email@example.com 7221 8234
- For other sites please contact Manager Equal Opportunity and Diversity on: firstname.lastname@example.org 8201 3735
Need more help?
- Assistance with breastfeeding is available at the Health Service (8201 2118): Inez Shippey, BA RN Practice Nurse.
- Other enquiries: Lisa O'Neill, Manager Equal Opportunity and Diversity (8201 3735)
- For assistance with breastfeeding and returning to work or study please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association National Breastfeeding Helpline 1800 mum 2 mum - 1800 686 268 or go to the website