Flinders Clinical Education Training Facility sits on the Gove Peninsula in the remote North Eastern Arnhem region of the Northern Territory. Flinders NT would be your host whilst undertaking placement in the region.
This is a spectacularly beautiful area of Australia with a fascinating history. Nhulunbuy is a 40 year old mining town, whose primary reason for existence is bauxite mining, but also services the surrounding smaller communities and homelands. It is a very friendly community with a multicultural mix of people with a wide variety of interests and offers a wide range of recreational pursuits. It is our hope and aim that you will take advantage of both the great clinical opportunities while you are here working and studying in preparation for your completion of your degree and the opportunity to involve yourself in other community activities.
The sporting facilities are fantastic, including an Olympic sized pool, gym, dance, sailing, fishing, golfing, football (all kinds), running, shooting, speedway and motor cross.
Nhulunbuy also boasts an amateur theatre company and friendly bunch of musicians.
Many of the Yolngu people of this region retain a very traditional lifestyle with history, language and culture that they will proudly share with you when you spend time with them. This aspect of your placement alone is an extraordinary opportunity to gain a greater understanding of Australia’s oldest living culture. It will hopefully help better inform your worldview.
- Gove District Hospital is a 30 bed hospital offering a wide range of services including emergency, obstetrics, minor surgery and visiting specialist clinics. Medical, nursing, midwifery, pharmacy, physiotherapy, nutrition and dietetics placement opportunities.
- Miwatji Health Aboriginal Corporation - servicing larger Aboriginal communities throughout East Arnhem Land. Medical and nursing placement opportunities.
- Top End Health Outreach Team – service Groote Eylandt and Numbulwar. Current shared nursing, nutrition and dietetics.
- Laynhapuy Homelands Aboriginal Corporation – remote health service for some 30 smaller homeland communities across North East Arnhem Land. Shared medical and nursing experience opportunities.
- East Arnhem Shire at Gapuwiyak – Occupational therapy (screening required as highly limited placements within a remote community – 4 hours’ drive from Nhulunbuy)
- Gove Amcal Chemist – Pharmacy
- Everybodies Journey – Physiotherapy
Placements are varied and offer rich opportunities within a unique setting in the world. Not all placements are available throughout the year.
Flinders NT student accommodation features:
- 2 x two-bedroom units – fully furnished share accommodation, each bedroom with either a double or queen sized bed. Outdoor entertaining area included. Air conditioned, louvres and ceiling fans. Wifi. Carparking & bicycles
- 1 x three-bedroom house – fully furnished share accommodation, each bedroom with either a double or queen sized bed. Outdoor entertaining area included. Air conditioned, louvres and ceiling fans. Wifi. Carparking & bicycles
What staff and students love
- Dhimurru’s spectacular camping sites
- The truly picturesque town beaches on the Peninsula
- The Garma Festival: 4 days of culture, politics, music and workshops run by the Yothu Yindi Foundation across the long weekend in August
- The gentle sea breezes even on the most humid of days and nights
- Gove FM and Yolngu Radio run by ARDS
- The collaborative feel of health within the region regardless of where you fit
- The monthly Town Hall markets
- The huge plated servings of food at the Boat Club later in the week
- Friday night at the Surfie
- Great local music
- Sport, sport and more sport
- Yirrakala Buku-Larrnggay Mulka arts centre – not just a favourite of ours but known around the world for its extraordinary artists and their works on bark.
- Yolngu people
- The colours of the landscape, the contrast between the rich red of the bauxite shelf, the brilliant green of the ocean and the bright blue sky