This provides a “safety net” cover for enrolled students suffering accidental injury while engaged in University activities including work experience placements and sporting club activities.

Examples of benefits are: Weekly payments for loss of income ($300 per week maximum) and non-Medicare related medical benefits eg physiotherapy, chiropractic, ambulance that are not otherwise recoverable from a private health fund.

Host institutions occasionally request confirmation that the University has a Personal Accident cover for its students. Contact the Insurance Officer if a certificate is required.

Important Matters

No Medicare related payments
Commonwealth legislation prohibits general insurers from paying any benefits for which there is a Medicare entitlement including any gaps. This means that students may incur non refundable expenses for medical, hospital, xray etc accounts.

No Workers Compensation
There is a common misconception that students injured in a workplace while on work experience are entitled to workers compensation benefits. That is not the case and the Personal Accident benefits are much less than those available under workers compensation.

Enrolled students who suffer accidental injury while undertaking University authorised activities and wish to make a claim should complete the  Personal Accident and Sickness Claim Form (PDF 1MB) and forward to the Risk and Insurance Office at .