Flinders University :Tertiary Access Payment

Opening Date: 12-07-2021   Closing Date: 01-12-2021  

The Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) has been developed by the Commonwealth government and supports the Government’s agenda to strengthen tertiary education in regional and remote Australia.

The TAP is a one-off, means tested payment of up to $5,000 to encourage and assist outer regional and remote students who relocate to access tertiary study immediately following school (Year 12 or equivalent) whose family home is more than 90 minutes from their education provider to undertake full-time, higher-level tertiary education. If you completed year 12 in 2020 and are relocating to study at one of Flinders University's campuses you may be eligible for the TAP.

The TAP will help with the increased costs associated with relocating to undertake tertiary study and provide support to assist with the first year of study at Flinders University. The TAP can go towards anything—accommodation, travel, food or study supplies. If you’re eligible, you will be paid $3,000 in semester one, and if you remain enrolled in semester two you will receive a further $2,000.

This payment will be means-tested. Students will need to be below a parental income threshold of $250,000 to receive this payment. This income cut-off is significantly higher than the means test applied to other student support payments such as Youth Allowance and ABSTUDY. However, the $250,000 cut-off is the same means test that applies to Carer Allowance and will enable students with two working parents to qualify for the payment.

In 2021 there will be 217 scholarships for students commencing their first year of study at Flinders. 


To be considered, applicants must meet each of one of the following criteria:

1. be an Australian citizen, permanent resident*, permanent humanitarian visa holder or a New Zealand citizen meeting Australian Residence rules under section 7 of the Social Security Act 1991. 

*Applicants granted a permanent residence visa or specified visa subclass BEFORE 1 January 2019, must meet the 2 year waiting period to be eligible for the TAP. 

Applicants granted a permanent residence visa or specified visa subclass AFTER 1 January 2019, must meet the 4 year waiting period to be eligible for the TAP. 

A maximum 2 year waiting period applies if the Applicant is a holder of either:

  • an Orphan Relative visa (subclass 117 or 837)
  • a Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115 and 835)

2. have completed year 12 or an equivalent level of study immediately prior to commencing their eligible study at Flinders University; and

3. need to relocate to undertake their chosen course at Flinders University; and

4. have a permanent home address in Outer Regional, Remote or Very Remote Australia as defined by the Australian Standard Geographic Classification (ASGC) at least 90 minutes by public transport from the campus they will be studying at. Students must check their eligibility by using the Student Regional Area Search tool.

5. be enrolling full-time at Flinders University in a bachelor’s degree or a bachelor honours degree (undertaking at least 27 units of study across the year); and

6. be studying in face-to-face more for at least part of the course; and

7. have parents/guardians who are under the $250,000 per year combined parental income threshold or be exempt from providing this information; and

8. be at least 16 years old and no more than 22 years of age at the commencement of the eligible study.  


The scholarship is awarded for up to 1 year of full-time study. Ongoing payment is subject to maintaining full-time enrolment in an eligible course of study. This payment will only be available in a student’s first year of study – no further payments are made in the second year of study or beyond.


Each TAP will be valued at $5000 per annum.  Payments are subject to the student maintaining a full-time study load. The scholarship will be paid as a $3,000 instalment after the census date of the first semester of study and $2,000 after the census date of the second semester of study.  


Applications will be assessed and allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Complete applications will be assessed and offered first. Once the quota of scholarships has been exhausted, a waitlist will be created so that further scholarsihps can be offered if further funds become available.

Applications should be submitted online through the Flinders University Student System by the specified closing date. Student will need to be admitted to a degree at Flinders University and have a FAN to login to the system. This means applicants must first have accepted your offer to study an undergraduate course at Flinders University and have activated your account. Applicants will need to login to the Student System and navigate to the My Scholarships tab to submit an application. The application form for this scholarship is called "Tertiary Access Payment". 

Please make sure you are regularly checking your Flinders email account (or redirect emails from your Flinders account to an email account you do check regularly) as all correspondence will be sent directly to your Flinders email account. 

Applicants will need to upload documents in their application which provide evidence of the following:

Proof of Identity

  • Australian driver’s licence- current licence, learner permit or provisional licence issued by an Australian state or territory road transport authority in the Applicant’s name with photo and signature.
  • Proof of age card- current card issued by a state or territory government agency in the Applicant’s name and photo. 
  • Foreign passport- current passport issued by another country, with a valid entry stamp or visa.
  • Proof of age card- current card issued by a state or territory government agency in the Applicant’s name and photo. 

Citizen or residency status

  • Australian birth certificate- a full birth certificate in the Applicant’s name or former name issued by an Australian state or territory Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Birth extracts or birth cards will not be accepted. 
  • Australian visa- must be a current visa issued in the Applicant’s name or former name. Visa grant notification letters or expired visas will not be accepted.  
  • Australian citizenship certificate - issued in the Applicant’s name or former name. If the Applicant does not have an Australian citizenship certificate issued in their name, the Applicant’s parents’ certificate can be accepted if the Applicant is listed as a child with their full name and date of birth. 
  • Australian passport - issued in Applicant's current or former name. Passport must be current or have expired no more that 2 years ago. 

‚ÄčProof of address

Proof confirming your home address must include your name and address and can be documents like your:

  • Driver’s License
  • Proof of Age Card
  • Bank Statement
  • Utility Bill
  • Tenancy Agreement
  • Electoral enrolment card

Applicants will also be required to provide proof of the adress you have or will be relocating to. If you don't have this at the time of application, you can provide this as soon as you have this evidence - payment cannot be made until this evidence has been provided. 

If you are not relocating to study, you are not eligible for this payment.

Evidence of income or evidence that you are exempt from providing parental income information

You parents/guardians will need to fill out an Parent/Guardian Income assessment form. (N.B. If you cannot download this form, you may need to use another browser such as Internet Explorer). Parent Guardian Income will be asssessed as follows:

Combined parental income equals the sum of:

  • taxable income (a negative amount is counted as zero. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) consider a loss as meaning the person has no taxable income and often taxation losses can be deducted from future taxable income. A tax loss cannot be offset against the other components of parental income)
  • adjusted employer provided reportable fringe benefits including salary sacrifice. The reportable fringe benefit amount as recorded on an applicant's group certificate should be advised and recorded:

exempt reportable fringe benefits are automatically converted to the lower adjusted amount using the fringe benefits tax rate

other reportable fringe benefits will not be converted. 100 per cent will be included in parental income

  • reportable superannuation contributions
  • target foreign income (except if received as a gift from an immediate family member)
  • total net investment losses
  • tax free pensions and benefits
  • less maintenance paid. (i.e. child support)

NOTE: in shared custody situations (including parents separated under one roof), the parent with primary care responsibility should be used. In 50/50 shared care situations the applicant may nominate which parent they want to use

Income test exemption:

If you meet any of the following criteria, you are not required to provide parental income information, however supporting evidence will be required. If you(r):

  • are living independently
  • have (or has had) a dependent child
  • are an orphan
  • parents are unable to exercise parental responsibilities e.g. parents are in prison or asylum
  • cannot live at home because it is unreasonable to live at home
  • are a refugee
  • are in State Care
  • have Special Adult Status in a traditional community (Indigenous only)
  • currently have care of another person's child (indigenous only)
  • have returned to live in an Indigenous community after being adopted or fostered by a non-Indigenous family for more than 2 years (Indigenous only)
  • are aged 18 or over, and have been in lawful custody for six months (indigenous only)




Scholarship Type: undergraduate, honours, financial, commencing, regional/remote/rural students,