Tuesday, 11th March 2014Time: 1:00PM - 4:00PM
Location: Rm 104, Social Sciences North Building (Computer Training Suite)
Please remember if you can't attend a course anymore please unenrol yourself or move to the waiting list so others can attend.
To be notified of upcoming events, you can add your name to the waiting list.
Content Management System (CMS) 1 - Basics & Editing
This is a 3 hour hands-on workshop, with some presentations and many practical exercises. The emphasis will be on enabling you to use the CMS effectively in your role as an Editor or as a Publisher of web pages. Note: you should attend this session before enrolling in 'Content Management System 2 - Publishing'.
Type of course
Hands-on computer course
Who should attend
This workshop is essential for anyone who expects to use the web Content Management System (CMS) to maintain web content, pages or sites, or to manage the publication process.
For those expecting to have an Editor role (i.e. to make changes to existing content), it should be sufficient.
For those who expect to have a Publisher role (i.e. to create or rearrange pages, sections or sites), both this session and the Publishing session are required.
What you will learn
This session will give an overview of the following concepts:
- What the CMS is and what it does
- CMS Editing
- Web editing Workflow
- How the CMS delivers web pages
- 'Content-oriented' web maintenance versus 'Page-oriented'
- CMS templates, pagelets and containers
- 'Check out' web content for editing
- Change existing content using the WYSIWYG editor (without touching HTML or affecting other pages or navigation)
- Upload and manage images, documents and other files for the web
- Insert images into web pages
- Save changes or Submit them for approval and publication
- Use the Workflow system to follow the status of your changes.