A Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) is a statement of your enrolment, a record of the Commonwealth assistance you have accessed as part of your studies and shows what has been deferred via a HELP program for future payment through the Australian Taxation Office. Your CAN is not an invoice and does NOT require payment. If you are enrolled in semester and non-semester topics you may receive multiple CANs within the same semester. CANs are generated based on the census date for each topic you are studying.
A CAN is provided to all students who have received Commonwealth assistance, and will include:
- Information about your enrolment
- HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, OS-HELP and SA-HELP loan amounts
- Any up-front payments (student contributions) you have made
- Any loan fee(s) you have incurred
In accordance with Commonwealth legislation, you will be provided with a CAN within 28 days:
- of a topics’ census date for which you have received Commonwealth assistance via HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP
- of the date the debt is incurred for SA-HELP and OS-HELP
You will receive a notification to your Flinders email account when your CAN is available. You can access your CAN via the Student System under the ‘My Documents’ tab.
Once you receive your CAN you should review it to ensure it is correct. If you believe there is an error, you must submit an online request via Ask Flinders within 21 days of the date on your CAN.
Please visit the Study Assist website for further information about Commonwealth Assistance Notices.